Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to make a window open in a specific monitor

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
This is a  computer question rather than a SDR but we have a lot of computers gurus here so here goes.
Several windows or sub windows persist in opening in my primary monitor.
for instance, i run smartsdr on my middle (of 3) monitor.  It opens there all the time but when I open  profile manager in insists on opening in the primary.
I am sure there is a way to do this but it has me baffled.

Answers

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Gene go to the control panel >Display> Change Display Settings
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Good luck... I am in pretty much the same boat here.  With WIndows 7, a lot of the code that kept icons and windows in the same place after a re-boot went away.  Some programs are hard coded to open in the same exact spot, usually the middle of the main screen, each time no matter what.  I haven't found a way to change those, FLDigi being one of them which seems to open in the upper left corner each time.

You can try holding the shift key and then exiting the window with the X.  On some programs, that will put it back to where it was when you closed it.  There are also some add on utilities like ShellFolderFix that will put things back were they were when you restarted, or at least an hour before you restarted.

I use Display Fusion to manage multiple monitors.  It has a routine that saves your icon positions but you have to reload your profile each time.

I am all ears if someone has found something better.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The selection is on the same page that you select which is primary monitor etc... there you indicate by your choice what monitor is the primary one...
    Follow Terry instructions to get to the display...
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Gene,

You did not indicate your operating system so I will assume you are using Windows.
    The placement of the programs on the monitors is controlled by the Windows OS. I have a 2 monitor system and I display SSDR on monitor 2. Windows remembers my placement through reboot. SSDR will always open on monitor 2 unless I have moved SSDR display to monitor 1 and then close out SSDR. 

With SSDR running on monitor 2 and If I open Profile Manager for the first time since reboot, it will open in my main monitor (1). I can then move the Profile Manager to my 2nd monitor and it will stay there even if I close out the window and then reopen it. However, should I close out SSDR and then reopen it, I will find it has reverted to the SSDR default which is the main monitor. In other words, SSDR does not remember sub-window placement between reboots. The only answer that I can see to your question is to never turn off the computer or never reboot.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Windows 7 is a PITA when it comes to opening windows where and how they were closed. I use a utility called WindowManager http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm which helps a great deal. Helps with other versions but never needed it.

A virtual desktop solution http://www.dexpot.de/ may help as well.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

In code it's quite easy.....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.screen(v=vs.110).aspx

You could write something in Powershell or VbScript or VB or C# to look for the name of your process (say SmartSDR.EXE) and then move it to which ever screen you wish.

Here is a thread discussing such a method.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3750113/launch-an-application-and-send-it-to-second-monitor

Regards

Richard W4/G7EIX

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Guy,

Thanks for the lead on WIndowManager.  It seems to be better than what I am using to retain window positions - and at ten bucks, the price is right too.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You're welcome. The developer is very responsive and friendly. At some point in the future, you will find a window not working as expected and I guarantee you will forget WindowManager (just set that window to 'ignore') - the number of times I have forgotten that <blush>.
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    Strange. I run two monitors and SSDR comes up on the same monitor every time (not the primary which at one time it did).  Even IE and other apps like HRD comes up in the same place it was.  I must have something special windows 7.. ;-)
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Nick, no, I don't think so.  I have had programs that always opened where they should and I have had some that insist on opening in the same place each time even though I move them somewhere else.  I have others that open wherever they were before a restart.  A lot has to do with the way the individual program is coded.  Windows positions can also be influenced by the graphics divers.  Besides a DVI and VGA port, I am using three USB port monitors and those can add to the problem.

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    I run windows 7 on a dedicated Apple MiniMac via bootcamp all the time (I only boot into the Mac OS when I need to back it up..  Works fantastic and the smallest foot print around... The apple wireless keyboard I love, small and works great too.  I use an IMAC 27 for my day to day stuff. 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I use AutoIt to not only automate the startup of various apps I use, but also to position and size those apps after they are started. It allows 1 click startup of SmartSDR, DDutil Dxlabs, Fldigi, the Fldigi Dxlabs gateway, when the AutoIt script starts it places itself in the  system tray and triggers as each app opens it stays in the tray and ultimately also closes those same apps when the session is done It currently closes everything it opens whenever it sees SmartSDR close. It might be worth looking into.   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.