Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX AUDIO OUTPUT LOW

terry
terry Member

Have Flex 6300 running on brand new HP Envy Desktop Windows 8.1 with 12Gb OF MEMORY.  The last post I had with similar subject had the Flex zealots out in force.  I believe the DAX output is low on the 6300.  With the DAX control panel set with RX gain fully pegged out, I get about 68 percent signal in HRD DM 780, significantly lower than the output of my Flex 3000.  Although the system does not garble and miss text as I previously wrote, I believe this is a radio/software issue.  I also believe that the output was modified on a previous software version to lower the output and perhaps it was lowered too much.  If any fellow flex owners operating digital happen to be having problems decoding, check your DAX control panel and make sure it is fully pegged out.  Also check windows sound devices and make sure you don't have any other devices loading down the system.  In my case, windows was not an issue but the new computer helped with SMART SDR workload when using 3rd party programs.

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Terry

I do not doubt your beliefs, Nor will I question them. I will question though why in the second sentence of your post , you referred to the people who tried to help you the last time, as zealots.

If you want bad decodes then continue with your beliefs, If you would rather have a solution to the problem then, quit over-driving the input of HRD and turn the DAX receive level down. ADC/DACs don't appreciate being over-driven. The fact that PowerSDR could overdrive VAC more then SmartSDR drives DAX doesn't automatically mean that over-driving is required, or that SmartSDR suffers in consequence. It's not about LOUD, whats needed is "clean and undistorted" at a level high enough to be heard. If you get any decodes at all  then the level available is adequate. 

Strike! one  Terry

Now Troll, I have you on my line.
    Are you fish or fisherman?

Swung at, and fouled.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    A theory.
    The reaction of zealots, to being called zealots, is roughly similar to, the reaction of trolls, to being called trolls.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wow, I really feel like helping you.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Terry - DAX will put out a 0 dB signal or greater.  I would investigate the gain settings in the third-party digital mode application you are using.  I just checked this using Fldigi and the output gain is more than sufficient to provide enough signal for excellent copy for the digital mode decoders. 
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    "zealots" 
    a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their...

I can't wait for his next question or problem... to help him!
  • terry
    terry Member
    edited January 2015
    I see you joined in June.  Have you owned a flex for 6 months?  The title of Zealot is reserved for those presenting arrogance that attempt to bully and belittle.
  • terry
    terry Member
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Tim, I will, however, speak to Dudley regarding my observations.  I believe my findings are factual.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Have you adjusted the AGC levels? This can make a substantial difference in levels.
  • terry
    terry Member
    edited July 2019

Yes, George I have.  But I will play with it some more.  What I am referring to is that fact that I believe and I have confirmed via Flex technical staff that the DAX output was lowered in a previous software mod and I believe that it has removed ability for users to fully use the RX gain adjustment in the DAX dashboard for what it was intended ie ability to adjust output gain to drive external software applications, etc.  Instead now you must get about 80 percent full scale to start getting any decoding in DM780 and full scale to get mostly error free decoding.  I believe two things are at play - one the input requirements for DM780 and two, the output of software and hardware from flex.  I think if I had a choice I had rather have the output of the flex be a little hot and allow users to control using the intended slider in the DAX dashboard control.  FLDIGI seems to be a little more forgiving for RX gain input and I have observed that I can get slightly better decoding from FLDIGI.  I agree with Tim that the output is sufficient for FLDIGI to work, but it must be pegged out 90 to 100 percent on my system to get accurate decoding in DM780.  I am sure it has something to do with how the SMARTSDR software samples/treats the 6300 hardware audio output.  I would hope the intent of Flex to host these forums was to get feedback on product performance and that is exactly what I am attempting to provide.  I will continue to tinker with the AGC, third party software adjustments, and DAX control panel for optimum decoding...System is working, just attempting to provide some feedback that may help fellow users and factory guys.

George, thanks for your kind input/approach. 

All the best,

N5TF

• terry
    terry Member
    edited January 2015

zeal·ot noun ˈze-lət : a person who has very strong feelings about something (such as religion or politics) and who wants other people to have those feelings : a zealous person.

:  a zealous person; especially :  a fanatical partisan <a religious zealot>

The definition seems most accurate!

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I've been running Flexradio's exclusively since 2005, SDR1000, Flex5000, and Flex6500 since Aug. I've never been mistaken for religious, I'm sorry you feel the need to speak to zealots, Do they usually treat you nicer? Does anybody treat you nice? Your dictionary doesn't seem to mention what sort of reaction people have when you call them Zealots. Maybe you will find out.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Terry, et al... Here's a screen grab of my DAX Control Panel. While I don't use HRD/DM, I do seem to have plenty of headroom with WSJT-X (channel 1), FLDigi (channel 2), and WSJT 10 (channel 3). It would be interesting to see how HRD/DM users are set up.image
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agree with Tim that FLDIGI sees plenty of audio.  I confirmed that on the setup here.  In fact I was running with DaX throttled back to ~80%.   

Checking on a BT headset the DaX channel has plenty of volume.  If one turns it all the way to 100% and turns up the BT headset also it's way to loud.

A studio preamp (UA) that outputs 0dB VU is "hot" and drives the (line) input to the 6500 while needing only 30% on the 'line-gain' of the 6500.

Good Luck!

Regards,

TimP
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Terry 
    The title of Zealot is reserved for those presenting arrogance that attempt to bully and belittle.
    Really?
    Now go look up reserved, You managed to reserve that title for a whole sentence.

Ok now that we are aquainted, let me show you the rest of me. This is my backside, you have my back, enjoy it. No need for you to follow, and your not going to lead.

Glad to have another thing behind me!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.