Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How important is the balanced microphone input?

Alan - KA4B
Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
I am looking at the differences between the 6300 and the 6500 and was wondering how important it is to have the balanced microphone input.  I have read that many people use external amplifiers and equalizers, but with the internal equalization in the radio, is that still as important?  I know that with long microphone wires it is important to use balanced lines, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Answers

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    If its not a question of money, go with the 6500.  Having the choice (among other things) of a balanced input or not is a big deal IMHO..
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Balance microphones are less of susceptible to picking up RF interference. Unless you are into having Altra high quality audioequalizer is more than Goodnuf for the DX and Contesting as well as normal rag chewing.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    However the 6500 has many other features that clearly make it superior to the 6300
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Could you kindly elaborate some details?  

One sees more slices but let's propose two is enough,  The TX-DAC  rate is >2x the 6300's but what does the buy one?  Same for rcv ADC rate.  Slightly higher rcvr coverage.

On a positive for 6500 the built-in tuner and possible GPS  upgrade path a plus.  

Also how much does the ham band preselector filters help?
    +20db more image reject on 6500 is BIG plus in my book.

(last two points pushed me to the 6500 BTW!)

Didn't realize the read mic connect was so 'expensive an option' so will be making use of it.  :-)

Thanks &  73's
    Tim/K3TIM

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    To Howard's point, a well-deigned balanced input (*) offers superior noise mitigation, especially noise that appears in the common mode (e.g., RF) along the mic cable.     There's no difference in differential mode performance.  In essence, harmonic/intermod distortion and frequency response remain the same.

A balanced input also allows for a better connectivity to the popular professional and broadcast mics.  However, these balanced mics can be used with an unbalanced input provided the front-end gain structure is adequate to handle their relatively low output level,   SSDR with the 6300's switched 20 dB preamp is enough to accommodate low output level dynamic mics.

Paul, W9AC 

(*) Inputs with either a transformer or a 3-stage instrumentation amplifier.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have a 6500 and am glad for the additional functions mentioned by others, among them:  better preselector, better preamp options, additional transverter and receive antenna options, faster processors, and twice the number of panadapters, slices, and wider pan range.

The balanced mike input is a plus.  I use an external mixer only to split my Heil PR22 mike to three different rigs.   The EQ and processor in the rig itself is more than adequate for my needs.  Others enjoy the option of outboard processing and high end audio chains that the balanced input allows.  

I wouldn't spend the extra money JUST for the Balanced input, but in my book, the other additional features in the 6500 are worth the money if you can afford it.  
  • Nigel
    Nigel Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

I just added a balanced to unbalanced mic transformer.  I had problems with some RF in the shack getting into the mic lines.  with the transformer its all gone.

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks to all of you who gave input on the balanced microphone question above and shared other benefits you see in the 6500 as opposed to the 6300, I ordered the 6500 during the Christmas special and it is on the way.  I didn't see enough benefits for my personal needs to justify the extra $3200 to buy the 6700.  A great 2015 to each of you!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think that is a good choice.  I went thru similar thought process and arrived at the same conclusion.  For now, a 6700 doesn't make sense for one reason being inability to put up two antennas. 

Suggest you pre-read the manuals / installations guides as well as some of the 'gotch-ya's" reported here.  I did this and the bringup of the 6500 went smoothly.

Did you get the FlexControl?   I find it pretty handy.  First thing I did was put it at com port 99 per Tim's instructions.

Have a lot of hours with the 6500 and SDR-V1.38 s/w and it all plays very well.  The radio is very nice. I'm glad I jumped in.

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Yes, Tim.  A free FlexControl and free shipping was offered as the special this time.  People seem to like the FlexControl and I think it will be helpful.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good deal!  It as a nice solid / heft feel to it (case is metal).  Also seems highly resistant to RFI as demonstrated in the shack here.  The keyboard had to be tamed of RFI but the Flex Control did not.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.