Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I work Split with the FLEX-6000?

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
You need to think of Split in terms of multiple slices. To operate Split, you need to create two slice receivers and designate one of them as the transmit slice. The primary receive slice is the frequency the DX is transmitting on and you should never have to tune it. The slice designated as the transmit slice will also be the active slice (the slice that is tunable via the mouse scroll wheel or FlexControl) so that you can tune to where the DX is transmitting.

Answers

• Neil VA7DX
    Neil VA7DX Member
    edited July 2015
    Tim, What if you are the DX station and want the transmit frequency to be fixed and the receive frequency to be tuneable?
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Neil, one of the nice features of the "Slice" receiver concept is that each one can be the transmitter simply by clicking the [TX] ICON in that slice. For tuning, simply clicking on a slice makes it "ACTIVE" so you can easily tune. You can use your mouse wheel though the FlexControl makes this tuning very easy. Please note we are in process now to add both Receive Incremental Tuning (RIT) and Transmit Incremental Tuning(XIT) functionality. It's a breeze with the FlexControl but we're also looking into different ways to implement RIT and XIT for mouse/keyboard users. Any ideas would be appreciated. 73, Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A suggestion: Add two buttons to the bottom of the RX slice control pull-down for XIT & RIT similar to the buttons on PSDR. Click-on, click-off for each one. But rather than a separate "Clear" button next to each one, have them clear with a "long click" of the mouse, similar to my car radio storing a new memory channel with a long press of the button. Hovering the mouse over the box will allow increase or decrease of the offset using the scroll wheel on the mouse. Or click in the RIUT/XIT display box to enter offset +/- with the keyboard. It will be nice to have this added. It seems a waste to use a separate receive slice just for small offsets.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: RIT / XIT operation
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    most certainly have Slice B
    most certainly have DAX Control Panel Slice B selected and displaying Red X
    most certainly have Slice B up 2kc from Slice A (and is also displays a Red X
    most certainly not transmitting, no deflection of TX Gain display of Dax Contol pane 2 (Slice B)
    unfortunately not transmitting (It used to)

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited April 2020
    Hey Tim
    No matter how many slices I create.
    and in DAX Control make sure whatever slice I'm using has the RED X in both the slice and the appropriate selection in the Control Panel, I cannot transmit.
    Except on Channel 1. Only Slice A

Slice A is the ONLY slice, and Dax Control panel 1 are the only way I can transmit rtty.

I've operated split before...what am I doing wrong now?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I  would use XIT for digital mode split
  • Cedric HB9HFN
    Cedric HB9HFN Member
    edited December 2014
    Most big DXpeditions use splits of more than 10 kHz in RTTY. XIT is limited to 9.999 kHz.
    73, Cedric HB9HFN
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Cedric
    Maybe I can help
    The issue with big splits is, that you need an additional sound card. and two slices.
    Slice A and whatever sound device is listening to the DX station
    Slice B needs a separate sound source...either a Virtual sound card or a actual sound card selected
    Open the Flex audio control panel
    Slice A is listening to the DX station on vfo A (Audio Stream 1)
    Slice B is listening to the pileup on vfo (Audio Stream 2)
    The gotcha here is that you need another real or virtual sound card to be assigned to Slice B (Audio Stream 2)

Fortunately for me, I generally use WinWarbler for RTTY Dxing and I can quickly go to the WinWarbler Sound choice and select a real sound card choice to be used by Slice B. (other digital software may have a different way of assigning a sound card to vfo B)
    And one more thing must be done. You must disable the Red TX on Slice A (listening to the DX station) and enable the Red TX on Slice B in the DAX Control Panel.

Unfortunately until the Code People at Flex make this automatic when enabling Split I have not found an easier way.
    I've discussed this with other Digital users and they agree this is the only way to work the big splits we find with DXpeditions or rare stations on digital modes.

One other Flex user I talked to says he got around it by listening on the Flex, but transmitting on another rig..with complicated switching.
    We laughed, like we used to do way back in the days before transceivers. LOL

If I didn't explain well enough, feel free to contact me: bill@w9ol.com

good hunting!!

• luiz.lissoni
    luiz.lissoni Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi folks. How can I using split to adjust mic mic settings ? Py2kd Luiz
  • luiz.lissoni
    luiz.lissoni Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I can set on the flag +split
  • luiz.lissoni
    luiz.lissoni Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sorry, I CANT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.