Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

radio+sport+headset

I was thinking of getting a radio sport headset for my flex 6500,but I see I can only get a unbalanced 8 pin front connector with this headset,is it possible to get an unbalanced one so I can use the rear connector on the flex.thanks for any help tony

Answers

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    after talking with uk supplier,it seems I need the cs6/xlr cable and m208 element,which are not available from stock and have to be ordered from usa with a delivery of at least 6 weeks,not a happy bunny.tony
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited December 2014
    In principle every microphone , bal or unbal , can be used on the 8-pin front connector , even a electret.  Pin 8=+ , pint 7=-. For PTT you have pin 6 to ground=pin 5. There is no output on the 8-pin front connector for the headset.
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Tony --

I have one of the RadioSport headsets and have used it exclusively since shortly after receiving my 6700.  Call the guy at RadioSport and talk with him --- he has a special package mic designed for the Flex line -- In fact, he supplies Flex Radio with such headsets for their personal use.  You will not find a better headset for comfort or performance.  I got mine with an interchangeable mic element suggested by RadioSport.  Call the owner of RadioSport and talk with him -- he knows the Flex radios and what works, etc. -- Good luck,  73,  HNY,  ****, K9APW, Madison, WI 
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    that all very good but im in the uk
  • Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited December 2014
    Dave at Radio Sport will supply you with what you need in 95% of cases, and what he can't supply, he'll give you the info to make it yourself.

You said unbalance for the rear and unbalanced for the front.  You obviously meant balanced for the rear (XLR) since you have a 6500 and you mention in in your follow up.  One thing to note about the CS6/XLR cable; Everything about his cables are top quality, EXCEPT the XLR connector used.  It is a bad Chinese knock-off of a Neutrik and is easily broken.  I broke one without much effort at all.  I replaced it with a good XX series Neutrik XLR.  It will never break again short of being run over by a Hum-V.

FYI:  Dave at RadioSport will supply you with the pin-out information your need if you want something he doesn't supply or can't get quickly, which is your case.  I've bought a total of 5 of these headsets; 1 for me and 4 for my club.  I got them with various cables and elements for different radios and had to make an adapter for one situation.  I even got Dave's PTT pedal interface as well.  He has a lot of options and bends over backward to help out.  Great product and great support.

Do keep in mind that you CANNOT use an electret mic into the back of the 6000 series, as there is no bias voltage available on the rear connectors.  The electret can only be used on the front connector.  You'll need a HIGH OUTPUT dynamic for the rear connector, which Dave can recommend and I suggest contacting him directly for the latest info on that.  The electret mic has the widest dynamic/audio range, but if you want to use it into the rear, you'll need some sort of phantom supply unit in between the headset and rig.  Yes, even the Flex 6000 series has some limitations, albeit few.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.