Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl Settings

Ben Vickers
Ben Vickers Member
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

New changes in Smart SDR 1.3.8

I just downloaded SmartSDR 1.3.8 and found that the settings for the FlexControl box have changed. It's good that now the buttons change functions, RIT, XIT, speaker volume. But how do I get out of that function? It should be just press the button again, but no, it's stuck in that mode. If I double-click on the function, the value resets but the function is still enabled. How do I go from RIT back to main frequency tune on the knob? Same for XIT and volume control.

Ben, WB6FRM

Answers

• kc7cm radio
    kc7cm radio Member
    edited December 2014

For me, I press the big tuning knob down momentarily and it turns off the aux light and starts tuning.

• Army Curtis
    Army Curtis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Hi Ben. You are exactly correct: press a button the Flex Control and it switches to that function. As you noted, it stays in that function. To get out of that function, simply select another function. For example, you push the RIT button, the button lights up, and now turning the main knob will vary the RIT. If you want the knob to control frequency again, simply push the knob. The RIT button light goes out, and now the knob will tune frequency. The nice part of this is that it allows you to switch from RIT to speaker volume, to XIT, or frequency tuning. Just hit the button of your choice. And you can set the various buttons to control many other functions as well. Yes, takes a little getting used to, but it becomes second nature very quickly.

Hope this helps.
    73, Army AE5P
  • Ken - WA8JXM
    Ken - WA8JXM Member
    edited February 2017
    It appears that if you want to leave RIT where it is, just change to a different function/button.  But if you want to reset RIT back to zero, double click the button.

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I have been experimenting with the FlexControl.  The left button appears to control RIT and the right button appears to change XIT, but I do not hear any change in the volume on the headphones I have plugged into the 6500 when I select the center button and turn the dial.  Am I misunderstanding something?
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    In the setup until you can change those settings. As for volume there is a separate control for head phones and speaker volume. Make sure you are controlling the one you desire Mike N9DFD
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I just received a FlexControl today.  Works nice.  Does FRS typically add more programmable options for this device in new versions of their software?  I'd like to see Tuning Steps be added to the list.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    DDUtil has Tune Step features if you allow the FlexControl to connect thru it.

It has some other features too.

Documented here ...
    http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=TKnob

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Jay.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    In case you haven't seen it yet, the Tune Step setting is adjustable on the RX panel too.
    Which to me, is actually simpler.

One thing not to do is to unplug the FlexControl while DDUtil is running.
    it will very likely crash the USB/Serial driver and cause some headaches.

Switching Back and forth between DDutil and SmartSDR control only works "most" of the time. "not" everytime. And I'm never sure what I did that fixed it.

So be Bold and Brave, and try not to switch them to often.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes I'm familiar with the Tune Step adjustment on the RX Panel.  I was thinking it would be nice to be able to push the FlexControl knob to switch between the Tuning Steps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.