Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I plug in more than one Flex Control with Ssdr and 6300?

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Can I plug in more than one Flex Control with Ssdr and 6300? 
I see photos of multiple knobs and just wondered. The manual doesn't give a clue or at least I can't find anything.

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    NN4ZZ has done it, but has one activated through SSDR and the other via DDUtil.  He reports that it is working well that way.  Search the forum for Flex Control and NN4ZZ and you can see some of his posts.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Steve,
    I use 2 FlexControls on my 6700 and have been for about a year now.   The SSDR software only supports one FlexControl so that is why there is no mention of more than one in the manual.  In order to run the second control I use DDUtil.

Maybe someday FRS will add native support for multiple Flex controls.  Or maybe someone will create a new control with more (2, 3, or 4) knobs and buttons.  In the mean time, here are a few snapshots showing my setup.  .   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

When you have 2 FlexControls plugged in they will both show up in the Windows Device manager.  Your actual ports may vary.

Here is how I have the FlexControl setup in DDUtil.  In my case DDUtil is setup to use the control on COM8 since SSDR uses the one on COM7

Here is a pic of my operating position with both FlexControls

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ken,
    Merry Xmas -- Your post hit about the same time as mine.   I do really like having 2 knobs and in fact wish I could have a few more.  There are some things that just lend themselves to a physical interface (at least for some of us,  and some of the time).  

The nice thing about the Flex architecture, is that its possible to provide options.  And others are working on it already.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-6000-with-midi-controller

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I assume you are left handed?

Jon...kf2e
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jon,
    Merry Xmas -- You are correct and observant!  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am really looking forward to Kevin's work... I have a Hercules DJ Controller warming up in the bullpen!  Merry Christmas!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Funny, I'm a lefty, too.  But I send with the right hand.  (And do a lot of other things with the right hand too....  Play guitar, shoot guns & bow and arrow, throw frisbee, use many tools...It is fun being somewhat ambidextrous!)  
    I have the key and mouse on RH, Flex Knob on LH.  And use the LF on the Footswitch.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    All have already answered but one fact missed is the 2nd knob has more ability than the first running through smart sdr.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dale,
    Each has its advantages.  Here are a few but you may have other favorites

- SSDR can adjust slice volume and AGC-T level.  (I don't think DDUtil can, but may have missed it somewhere)

- DDUtil has many more macros available that can be assigned to the buttons than SSDR

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited December 2014
    The Woodbox radio Tmate 2 has 3 knobs, 9 buttons and a display.  My N4PY software fully supports this device.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2014
    Does it work with SmartSDR? I have looked at the Tmate 2 before, and nothing there indicated it would work with SmartSDR, only PowerSDR and some other SDR software packages for other receivers/transceivers, other than the newest Flex 6000 Series.
    james

• Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited December 2014
    My N4PY Pegasus Plus program connects directly to the Flex 6000 series via ethernet.  Pegasus Plus fully supports the Tmate 2 and gives you many selections to configure the knobs and buttons on the Tmate 2.  You also run SmartSDR and all plays well together.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.