Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Distorted Receive Audio for about 1 second.

Michael Engstrom
Michael Engstrom Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have noticed short-term (about 1 second) distortion on strong SSB signals with the NB ON. It seems like it takes the NB algorithm a little too much time to differentiate what is signal and what is noise, causing distorted audio for a second or so before normalizing, and it does normalize. I thought it may be associated with the Hardware ALC on/off. This distorted audio is particularly noticeable when a strong SSB station comes back to a very weak one. I have electric fence noise where I live and a low NB setting will reject it. Just upgraded from a Flex 3000. Has anyone else had this experience?

Answers

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    Sorry, Mike, I might be the only one here right now. Elmer could answer much better than me. NB, NR, and ANF have been dissected and criticized for months. In fact, I have heard many state that they would rather have those features improved before any new features. Flex has heard the criticism and has promised those improvements delivered in SSDR ver1.4 (Jan 31, 2015).
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    NR,NB,ANF improvements are a "Science Project"to be part of SSDR ver 1.5. Not 1.4.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks, Howard. I thought they were mentioned in the last Insider, you have reminded me of the context. Sorry for the misinformation.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And they are not just working on any noise blanker, they are working on things we have never seen before, it will be interesting.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 192 Posts
    • 185 Likes

As I stated in the last Flex Insider, our goal is to up the game in noise and interference mitigation in v1.5.  There are many types and sources of noise so a single algorithm will not address all types of noise and operating modes.  We are not going for parity but to exceed what has been done before on any radio.  As I also said, this is a "science project."  We have a number of ideas that we want to try that have not been used in ham radio radio before.  We have a lot of options in the FPGA that are not available in legacy architectures. 

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike 
    Hardware ALC is in the TX chain and is probably not responsible for the distortion your hearing. Do you get the distortion repeatedly on the same strong SSB signals, or does it improve after the NB learns the new environment? I don't use the NB at all so I can't offer any tips, except the thought that possibly running the AGC-T lower and turning on the AGC might make the signals distort less. I routinely run my AGC-T very low and ride the control constantly using the FlexControl knob.   Still strong SSB signals have to be adjusted for. They don't distort this way but do tend to give me a wake-up signal to adjust the AGC-T.
  • Michael Engstrom
    edited March 2015
    Jay -

The audio normalized quickly (in abt a second). By normalize I meant to say that the distortion was gone and the received audio sounded excellent. I'll play with the AGC-T (now have it on FlexControl Aux1) and report any new data. Thanks for the clarification on the TX ALC,

Flex Model 6700.

• Michael Engstrom
    edited March 2015
    BB - "And they are not just working on any noise blanker, they are working on things we have never seen before, it will be interesting."

BB -
    I've been up and running with my new 6700 for about a week now. Regarding the NB, I think Flex has covered those bases.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.