Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need Help Waterfall in DM780 Distorted Tried all Settings in DAX Levels

2»

Comments

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Bill the client to drive the radio is thin. That's proven with the low traffic over the ethernet. It appears if you have the right graphics card, the display is mostly off loaded onto the GPU, keeping the cpu usage pretty low. If it's not a "great" card, then the cpu is going to increase some.

Certaintly when you start loading digital (psk, sstv, etc) it's going to task the cpu more.

Right now I'm running three slices. One on psk31 (audio off), one on SSTV (digital, audio off) and one on ssb phone. I'm obviously running psk and easypal (sstv).

The system is smooth!  but I've got a great graphics card (so that load is minimized) and 8 cores in the cpu. The dual core laptop, with the lousy video card, simply fell on it's knees, with just SDR.

Theoretically you could have a minimum laptop "driving" SDR. This would be as if you were running a traditional radio. Then you could have another computer just doing your digital modes. With the DAX/Cat they don't have to be the same machines!

I'm presently on two computer screens, but I'm looking to go to atleast 3. It will be interesting to see if the performance is affected with the additional display that needs driving.

Regards,   Brent  NB4AP

• Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    This discussion has been much ado about nothing.  An individual with poor understanding of the SDR ecosystem, bemoaning the absence of absolute compatibility between disparate devices and software applications.   Blaming the manufacturer with indignant rhetoric  while  "White Hat" ham observers made varying attempts to pacify the complainant. Some were patronizing others like Tim's were level headed, a couple were well intentioned, though to what purpose one wonders. 

In all it has been as amusing (complete with an "IT Professional") as it was absurd.

Terry, send the radio back.
     You'll be happier!

Cheers,
    mike/wa4d  
    http://www.wa4d.net 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Since this issue has been addressed with various good recommendations, I feel that now is probably the time to close this topic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.