Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the accuracy of the Flex 6700's GPSDO?

Options
Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have been looking at the documentation for the improved accuracy with the Flex 6700's GSDO.  In places I have seen "<5.0 x 10^-12, but in other places I have seen the accuracy estimated as "0.005 ppm" (which would be 5x10^-9 NOT 10^-12).  Am I losing my ability to do simple math, or are one of these published specs a typo??

At these accuracies it's almost just academic, but I'm still curious!

Roy, AC2GS

Answers

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The current FRS spec says the stability of the GPSDO is 5 x 10**-12 over 24 hours. They do not specify any level of accuracy, which can be quite a different thing.  To my mind, the stability spec means that the frequency (averaged over some short time period) will not vary by more than the given number over a 24 hour period.  There will be a constant offset from the nominal frequency -- that's the accuracy.  You can take that out by entering the offset in SSDR -- if you can measure it!

Characterizing high performance oscillators is not simple, and I wish FRS gave more information. In my astronomical work, we commonly used the Allan Variance, which tells you what frequency / phase performance you can expect over a wide range of time intervals. See www.rohde-schwarz.de/file/1EF69_E3.pdf, for example.

73 Martin AA6E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.