Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM+ Voice Keyer rec/playback working . However having issue with mic audio dropping out on manual

Clay N9IO
Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
N1MM+ Voice Keyer record and playback working with FLEX 6300. However having issue with mic audio dropping out on the manual PTT switch with mic after a couple seconds.

Thanks to Ken W9IE I have N1MM+'s voice keyer recording and playing back nicely with my Heil HC4 cartridge installed on a Heil boom mic arm.  I unplugged the 1/8" plug from the Heil mic adapter and plugged directly into the front MIC input on the front of my desktop computer to do the recordings, works fabulously.  The BOSE Companion speakers suggested for use with the FLEX were a great choice as the BOSE spk's have TWO audio inputs so I connected the computer's SPEAKER OUTPUT not line level output to the second audio input on the BOSE speakers with an 1/8" male-male stereo connecting cable. In N1MM+ I select the speaker output on the back of the computer for WAV playback and I temporarily select the front MIC input only when you do your Function Key WAV recordings.

<CTRL><SHIFT><FUNC KEY F1> toggles the record on and off.
Then pressing or clicking on <F1 KEY> plays back nicely, sounds like the mic.
"Balanced MIC users will have to experiment with an adapter to connect your balance mic to the computer's MIC input"

DAX must be ON, VOX must be ON for <F1> playback to work.

Now my problem:
The <F1> memory plays back, no issues BUT!
When I push the foot switch PTT I see my audio on the panadapter for only a couple seconds and the audio dies until I release and press the PTT switch again, same issue every time.

Not sure if this is a N1MM+ or FLEX problem.
I also have persistence working on N1MM+ also before anyone asks.

ANY Thoughts?  I am totally stumped...

Hence this is my story, it's sad but true....
73' thanks in advance...
Clay N9IO

Comments

• Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Clay,   The problem is NOT with N1MM...
    You do need  DAX and VOX activated for N1MM   However; If you turn N1MM off the problem is still present.

Turn VOX and DAX on in the SSDR Ctl panel....
    Press PTT and talk into the mike...
    Transmitt will come up and the RED light on the Flex will turn on.
    After speaking for 5 to 10 seconds the Audio will not be processed by the Flex
    As indicated on the Panadapter.

However; the Flex is still in transmitt..

There seems to be some kind of Audio Timeout if both DAX and VOX are activated.

I hope Tim will have an answer on this....

Ken   W9IE
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks for eliminating the N1MM+ element.
    For Tim: We now know the issue is not only with the 6300 but also Ken's 6700.

Ken, I had tried the voice keyer and all with Will and the guys on 160 but didn't have long to experiment, had to leave with the xyl.

Thanks for all of your help and experimentation.  Sure shortens the learning curve...
    Clay
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have written this up as a defect so we can investigate further,  Thanks for the report.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Tim.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Update:
    I received a call from Ken W9IE saying he had the solution.
    I followed the following instructions and now have the voice keyer and mic working correctly.
    I had to experiment a little though. If you interrupt the Func Key F1 for example with the foot switch the audio WILL drop out after a couple seconds.
    However, if I press or click the F1 and instead interrupt it with the "EXC" escape key I can immediately press they footwitch and talk on the Mic with no delay whatsoever.

The solution Ken came up with is to enable the PTT for SSB in N1MM+ by doing the following.

Click 'Config", Confifure Port, Mode Control, Audio, Other... For my Flex 6300 and W9IE's 6700 we used COM5 under Port, Radio is Flex, Check The 'CW/Other' Box and Click 'Set' under Details.

Check the box for 'PTT via Radio Command SSB Mode' Click 'OK' and 'OK' again Done.
    VOX is not required to be on since PTT is keying the transmitter.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.