Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 random pops or crackles during cw tx

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
What happened to this? The conversation was terminated and turned over to the help desk 4 months ago. The poser finally sold his 6300 in frustration. Others still have the click. Note: Only the 6300. Other don't do this. Please let me know if this has been addressed. I would like to pursue it to completion. Thanks.

Comments

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    What happened to this? The conversation was terminated and turned over to the help desk 4 months ago. The poser finally sold his 6300 in frustration. Others still have the click. Note: Only the 6300. Other don't do this. Please let me know if this has been addressed. I would like to pursue it to completion. Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    One of the things we are working on for SmartSDR v1.4 is internal performance tuning of the radio hardware.  The FLEX-6000 is a complex embedded system and there isn't just one "crank" or knob you can turn to 11 to get more performance out of the radio (my apologies for the Spinal Tap reference). It takes balancing and moving different process to different processors to achieve this goal.  And it is not an one time fix either.  As we add more capabilities and features, we will always have to do performance tuning to some degree.  For SmartSDR v1.x, we are at a point in the product life cycle where we needed to really focus on this area and that is what we are doing.  And one of the reasons the release is slightly delayed - we want to make sure the performance tuning is done right in conjunction to the LAN Remote feature.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim: I'm not sure you answered my question or someone else's. Were your comments in reference to random pops and crackles while keying the 6300? It sounds like hardware trouble to me. 
    Steve
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am referring to all FLEX-6000s.  It isn't a hardware problem; it is a resource allocation performance tuning issue.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Oh...Ok...I'm surprised we don't hear more complaints. I have a pair of 8" speakers hooked up and while transmitting I get an occasional LOUD pop. Drives me crazy. So I use external filters and resonant cw speakers to survive. I just had this feeling that it was being ignored. Thanks.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    FYI: I gave up on the 6300 pops problem and got the 6500. All is clean now.

I'm getting email from others with the pop problem when using QSK. Software did not fix this. Since it's unique to the 6300 I'm assuming it's a hardware issue until proven otherwise. 

From K2MO 6/27/2015 who just got a new 6300

"I had a Flex 5000A for a few years and was told the QSK noises were a thing of the past with the new Flex 6000 so I bought one. The QSK is much better, but Flex needs to clean up the cracking and popping."

Steve N4LQ

• Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited January 2017
    Why is this posted in the PwrSDR area?
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Good question. How do you move it?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    It was incorrectly classified by the origional poster.  I have changed it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.