Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Good news for flexlib users

Options
N7BCP
N7BCP Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ... and in case you don't read the entire article, one of the things that's relevant to this group is that MS has released "Visual Studio Community 2013" for free to hobbyists, R&D, EDU and businesses with less than $1MM USD in revenues. The "Community" version is functionally equivalent to the "Pro" version, and contains the bits that were missing in previous free releases - a resource compiler, for example.

I find it a bit distressing that I'm tempted to praise MS for these actions. Giving them outright praise is something I've rarely done in what -  30+ years? ;-)

Jim N7CXI

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the post!

I just downloaded this last night and started working my way through the book "Beginning Visual C# 2010" which was recommended on another thread.  SO far I have done the first two "projects" and am convinced that I can learn yet another programming language!  It doesn't look that hard... so far!

Ken - NM9P
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And a competitor is born. What have I done? ;-)

Good for you, Ken. Programming in C# is the most direct way into the mainstream these days.

If you haven't already done so, at some point I'd also recommend learning the number systems and bases used in programming, which is a prerequisite for a complete understanding of bit masking and other lower-level functions.  It will also open a doorway to understanding things like the difference between 32 and 64-bit pointers, and why you should care about them.

... and once you've learned C# and have an understanding of relevant number systems, you'll already have learned 80-90% of "C", which is itself a gateway to C++ .

But even if you don't go any farther than C#, you'll be able to create useful and/or entertaining applications for Windows and even Linux - using Mono, for example.

Just remember to eat, sleep and exercise regularly. :-)

Jim N7CXI

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you are talking about 8-bit, hex, and all that, I learned that in college. I was a math and physics major before entering the ministry. But I have gotten a little rusty in my programming skills.... It is a long way from IBM 360 Fortran and GW-basic!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.