Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR CAT 1.3.8 problem

Robert Watson
Robert Watson Member
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
I have been running SmartSDR 1,3,8 for some time with no problems.  I have been trying to get 3rd party programs (Logger 32, FLDIGI) to communicate via SmartSDR CAT with no success.  CAT loads, however no Com ports are created.  The CAT Main screen shows the Flex radio, S/N, and IP Address and it shows "Connect 3rd party program to COM 4".  When I go to the Serial Ports screen, no ports appear.  I tried adding a port and I get a message "Unable to create a new pair...."  A check of Device manager on the pc, running Windows 7 64 bit, the only com port shown is COM 12 which is for the Flex control.
I reinstalled the entire Smart SDR program with no change.  I then totally uninstalled the program elements and I scrubbed the registry.  I again installed, directly from the download site,  SmartSDR.  Again, no com ports are created.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
73, Bob, KN4HH

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Have you checked in Device Manager for phantom COM ports? Click to show "hidden" devices - there could be several. Delete them and reboot. Try creating again from SmartCAT.
  • Luis del MOlino
    Luis del MOlino Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Instructions received from Tim Ellison

Tim Ellison (FlexRadio Systems)

Oct 06 01:44 PM

OK.

You can try a manual install of the VSP drivers.

1.) Make sure that the CAT program is not running. Close it if it is.
    2.) Locate FlexVSPInstaller_xx.msi where xx is 64 or 32 depending on if your version of windows is 64 or 32-bit. The file is in the path:
    Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.3.8xx-DriversVPS (again, xx is either going to be 32 or 64)
    3.) Right click on FlexVSPInstaller_xx.msi and select Install from the drop down menu.

This should install the FlexVSP drivers. After they install, reboot your PC.

Then check in Control Panel to see if FlexVSP is installed.

Luis EA3OG

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Luis,

After you do that, if you still have problems getting FLDigi to work, let me know and I will send you my screen shots.

Steve
    W6SDM
  • Robert Watson
    Robert Watson Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. First no phantom ports present.  I reinstalled VSP 64 bit and still no com ports are created.  i am beginning to think it is a pc related problem.  However, I don't know why the pc would prevent com ports from appearing.
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Had a similar problem. Norton Anti-virus decided to block ports. Had to uncheck port blocking.

Don...w2xb

• Robert Watson
    Robert Watson Member
    edited October 2014
    Don, you hit it right on.  I disabled my anti-virus program and reinstalled VSP and the com ports are there.  Thanks so much to you, Don, and all the folks in the Flex community.
    73, Bob, KN4HH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.