Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using digital modes with the 6300

Gregg E. McArthur
Gregg E. McArthur Member ✭✭
Are software upgrades for direct use of digital modes planned?  I have been told that direct use for RTTY and PSK 31 are in the planning stages.

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think the plan is that by releasing the waveform api third party developers will provide this type of programs.

Jon...kf2e
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I hope FRS resists baking in the many digital modes into SSDR. Third party apps that can hook in are the way to go.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I feel the exact opposite. Too much of this third party software is not being developed or has ergonomic/usability issues. The more they can put in the better IMHO.

Sri George, hi hi.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    George, this is one of the very few times I will disagree with you.  From my perspective, the answer here is not the boolean "this or that."  I see it as an "and/or both" proposition. 

Here is how I look at it:  From both a bandwidth and client hardware requirement stance, having digital modes decoded internally within the radio and then only passing the decoded ASCII text across the network should incent developers to create thin client software for different mobile platforms. It simplifies the developer's task to produce a lightweight application and GUI.  This will provide the FlexRadio community with more opportunity to enjoy Ham Radio anywhere they happen to be and on a variety of very low power, low bandwidth clients and networks.

DAX is great when bandwidth is stable and sufficient.  Where bandwidth is iffy, like on a mobile network, even performing digital modes can be tentative because of fluctuating bandwidth and latency.  Audio streams are sent via UDP packets which do not guaranteed delivery.  If packets are dropped, they are not re-sent.  

I'm sure you'll agree that sending the ASCII Text characters for "CQ" upstream from the client application to the 6000 takes significantly less bandwidth than sending digitized binary audio PSK tones representing "CQ" from DAX.  Sending text over the network significantly reduced bandwidth requirements.  It also less likely to be significantly affected by poor network conditions during mobile operations as text can be sent via guaranteed delivery IP packets instead of UDP.

My only concern is the additional processing requirements to do this decoding in the radio.  I can't answer that.  FRS seems to imply via publishing the Wave Form API there is sufficient processing ability so as to not to negatively impact performance.   I guess we'll see when someone actually develops an internal 6000 digital mode.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2020
    While technically feasible, there are no imminent plans to add encode/decode for popular digital modes in SmartSDR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think with the new Waveform API, we will ultimately be able to select from a large list of diverse on-board Digital interfaces as you mentioned.  In fact, eventually I can see a great competition between programmers as to which one decodes RTTY better, etc.  

The advantage to this is that FLEX won't need to do all of the development, only provide the API interface and guidelines.

I would LOVE to have a RTTY on-board and forget programs like FLDigi for this simple mode, especially when remoting capabilities are released.  It seems to me that with fewer conversions between programs, the decode might be superior.

Ken - NM9P

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Just think, with a skimmer type program and hooks to your logbook you will soon be able to do a RTTY DXCC with no operator.

Jon...kf2e
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    "...there are no imminent plans..."

You should go into politics, hi hi. Maybe there are less imminent plans, maybe just plain old plans. Hi Hi.

How come FreeDV is being included in 1.4? That is a cruel carrot to dangle in front of those who want to see native RTTY, PSK31 etc LOL.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Would you actually call it crude, or a serious enticement for the "code" minded to **** the lid off of many present limitations and develop digital modes that "reside inside"?
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OK 3rd party is the way to go . And the absolute best **** for your buck. It doesn't limit your transceiver You have multiple sources competing for your use. it is far easier to try a new mode from an outside source than to be committed to a mode internal to your radio.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    most of the new rigs comming out are ready to code and decode cw and Rtty , some include the digital programs. It would be great to have a basic cw/digital program in the firmware or smart sdr whichever way it would need to be entered. Something that would be plug and play. This would give a user a taste of the ability of the platform and where they went from the basic abilities installed by flex to the highly advanced programs like hrd , dx lab ect.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Nobody would be committed to anything at all. Look at FreeDV - will be MUCH easier to get to grips with and use when native on the radio.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited November 2014
    I hope your not suggesting that Flexradio should drop further developement of SmartSDR, and start creating built-in Flex versions of skimmer and fldigi from scratch . Why not let them finish SmartSDR first. Maybe 1.38 is all we need, but frankly I'd rather they keep working on SmartSDR and let 3rd parties do what 3rd parties are better at doing. FreeDV might be getting added just to demonstrate how the API's can be used by 3rd party programmers to add even more. I thought we wanted better DSP NR,NB,ANF and better UI colors, sliders, memories etc,etc. hi hi
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No suggestion that anything should be dropped. I wonder what on earth gave you that strange idea. You have seen the relative ease with which FreeDV has been added judging by no significant delay in the release schedule. The puzzle is why the did not put in something like RTTY that many have been asking for.

FRS can do it without sacrificing the roadmap.
  • The Count
    The Count Member
    edited March 2015
    While I can see that Flex cannot stuff every digital mode into the OS themselves  I would say CW and RTTY decoding should be offered by Flex.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Cw decode. Your brain is far superior to any program out there. Rtty I fit had Fsk. Capabilities. Possible however afsk works just as good. For me I want the best transmit. And receive. Capability. This means improved radio functions not mode of the week .
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited November 2014
    Sorry Guy, Im still a noob at getting the communty website to work sometimes. i intended my post to be added at the end as a new comment instead of as a reply to your post. I'll just wait for the 1.4 release, and crawl back under my rock. Submit buttons hate me!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree. I got my ticket in 1975 and have never used CW since. I am working on getting my speed up and do not wish to use any decoding software or readers at all.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Don't worry about it mate.

Best 73.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.