Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM Logger+ & SmartSDR in CQ WW Phone

William Hein
William Hein Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I used the latest versions of N1MM Logger+ and SmartSDR / SmartSDR CAT in last weekend's CQ WW Phone operating SOSB(A) 10m HP. 1,044 QSOs, 34 zones and 143 countries.

Operation was 99% perfect. I positioned the N1MM capture window over the waterfall and found that to be a comfortable set-up. One quibble, when I would click anywhere in SmartSDR the N1MM window would disappear behind SmartSDR. Would like to make the N1MM window persistent on top of SmartSDR.

SmartSDR lost contact with the 6700 twice during the 2 days but that was easily recovered from. N1MM crashed when I tried to edit logged contacts so I stopped trying to edit contacts during the test and just hand wrote notes regarding the log fixes to be made (usually as a result of hitting the enter key too fast).

A couple of times clicking on a packet spot opened a second slice rx instead of QSYing the primary slice. I'm not sure why this happened, but it was only a few times.

Flex 6700 again showed itself to be a wonderful contest radio. It is essential to keep the AGC threshold as low as possible when the band is full of big signals - it is noticeably quieter when the AGC is adjusted correctly and signals become much easier to copy.

Now if we could only do something about the horrible tx audio coming out of many of the non-Flex radios! Does everybody turn their processor up to 11?

On the wish list - position logged contacts and spots from the cluster over the panfall at the appropriate frequencies with color coding to show their age. That would very, very, very useful!

BIll AA7XT (W0LFA in contests)
Glade Park CO
DM59pa

Comments

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It is essential to keep the AGC threshold as low as possible when the band is full of big signals
    Bill, wouldn't you want to keep the AGC threshold as HIGH as possible to minimize AGC action by neighboring strong signals? 

73, Barry N1EU

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for your report.  Great score!

I also am appalled at the quality (or lack thereof) of many of the signals on the band.  especially the following:

1) Some hams seem to think that if full drive is good, shouting your amplifier up to 120% will get through better.  Never mind that you are now at least 10 KHz wide and splattering over the weak signals next to you.  or that you are wasting your power as distortion products and actually reducing your effective signal.

2) Many of the contesters seem to think that "Bob Heil recommends boosting the 1k-3k frequencies a bit for maximum intelligibility.... So I will boost them by 20-40 dB and cut off everything below 500 Hz and hope it will make me sound better!"  Some of these stations were so badly EQ'ed that they were nearly impossible to understand, even though they were 10 dB over S9.  They wasted so much time giving repeats.  I had to use my RX EQ to reduce their treble levels and boost the bass so I could understand them.  I wish I had a three button option for the RX EQ that would let me have a CW RX EQ profile, a "Boost" profile, and a "Cut and compensate" profile for stations like this.  One button and I would be able to apply the fix quickly...

3) The same thing with compression... "a-little-dab-'ll-do-ya."  If 5-10 dB compression gives you more talk-power in a contest.... how about 20, 30 or 50% compression?  Yes, you sound like "Spinal Tap"  with it on '11'  but they don't need to understand me, only hear me... at least I'm LOUD!   Sadly, there is no easy way to "uncompress" this disaster of a signal.

Keep having fun!
    Ken - NM9P
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I think a lot of this is due to little or poor Elmering. More people need to realize that it's not enough to move the meter, they have to be able to understand what you're saying.

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bill,

I would guess that the spots that opened a second slice are ones that a QSX assigned to them as a listening frequency.  Odd in a contest to operate split but a few guys do.

I work very hard at training myself not to touch the radio via SmartSDR in a contest for the reason you mention - I don't want to lose window focus on the logging program.

I'm sure you know this but you don't need to click on the band map in N1MM+ to go to the next spot... Here's an extract from the docs...

Jumping to Spots on the active radio or VFO (the one with the Entry focus)
    • Ctrl+Down Arrow - Jump to next spot higher in frequency.
    • Ctrl+Up Arrow - Jump to next spot lower in frequency.
    • Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow - Jump to next spot higher in frequency that is a multiplier.
    • Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow - Jump to next spot lower in frequency that is a multiplier.
    If you configure for SO2V operation (ask me if you need help on this), you can run one "radio" as your CQ frequency and then use the "other radio" to look for spots - here again from the spots.

Jumping to Spots on non active radio/VFO
    • Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow - Jump to next spot higher in frequency on the inactive radio/VFO. This will skip over CQ-Frequency when radios or VFOs are on the same band. Proper keystroke operation is radio dependent. Disabled for SO1V.
    • Ctrl+Shift+Up Arrow - Jump to next spot lower in frequency on the inactive radio/VFO. This will skip over CQ-Frequency when radios/VFOs are on the same band. Proper keystroke operation is radio dependent. Disabled for SO1V.
    • Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow - Jump to next spot higher in frequency on the inactive radio/VFO that is a multiplier. If you are operating single mode, your mode won't change when jumping between spots. Disabled for SO1V.
    • Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow - Jump to next spot lower in frequency on the inactive radio/VFO that is a multiplier. If you are operating single mode, your mode won't change when jumping between spots. Disabled for SO1V.
    • Shift+Alt+Q - Jumps to your last CQ frequency on the inactive VFO/radio. Disabled for SO1V.
    I also use the logging program to move the rotor(s) in use for the antenna(s).

Using the bandmap for spots and multipliers lets the whole process of chasing multipliers be automatic.

Most of my personal contesting is done un-assisted - with the strong exception of SweepStakes or contests where there isn't a separate category for assisted operation.

Nice score!  I only dabbled in the CQ WW DX this weekend in between other chores but the bands were wide open and it was nice to see a SFI over 200!  Short lived but I'll take it when Old Sol offers it up!

Stu K6TU
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I also used N1MM logger and SmartSDR.  I ran "assisted" on 40 meters only trying to get my country count up. Most of the time I was watching the band map with a hand on my Flex control. I only occasionally checked SmarSDR. Dual monitor setup.

Also set N1MM to "grab focus on frequency change", thus I had no focus issues.

I was really impressed by clicking on a split (EU/US) spot on 40 meters and have the "B" receiver popup in XMT right at the specified frequency.

Who says Flex isn't a contest rig.
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the band map and SO2V tips, Stu. I will try those in CQ WW CW. Was just getting my feet wet this past weekend. I wish now I had put in a better effort!

With regard to AGC Threshold, I may be mangling the terminology. What I find is moving the AGC-T slider to the left under band noise drops down gives me the best readability, weak signals seem to 'pop' at the right level. I adjust this frequently as propagation and band noise change. I have assigned a FlexControl button to AGC-T to make this easy.

My day-to-day logging software's (DXLab) log entry window does have persistence (its an option) and does not disappear behind SSDR so I am going to request this feature in N1MM Logger+.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    There is no substitute for ****-in-Chair time but its not easy to sit there, maintain concentration and motivation for the full time.  Believe me... been there, done that!

It really helps to set goals - whether they are personal, club or contest specific.  I've got a pretty good idea where I am competitive and where the competition for me lies. 

Sometimes the goal is as simple as beating my own past performance.

Totally agree with AGC-T - that's one of my configured functions on the FlexControl - that way I still don't need to click on anything.

When I'm running a frequency, my rate is generally > 80 Q's an hour - often 100+ an hour - in that case, I'm working very hard not to have to do anything other than accurately type!

S&P is a different matter but still want to avoid using the mouse.

Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Stu.
    I knew I had read about the "QSY" function, but couldn't remember how to do it and didn't want to take the time to look it up.  I was having too much fun running the contest!  But it would have saved a bunch of time for me.  I like the option to go to next spt, or next multiplier.  Does it also filter out the ones you have already worked?

Also...is there a keyboard command to tune the ATU?  That would be really nice.  That is probably one of the biggest reasons I used the mouse on the SSDR console.  That and adjusting AGC-t, until I reprogrammed the AUX2 button on the Flex Control Knob to do that for me.

All in all, I thought I did pretty well for my first major contest running N1MM (regular OR plus)  I am hooked now!  My next goal is 500,000 points, which should be easy once I get the antenna up!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It dawned to me in the middle of the contest that I had always run a S&P operation as sort of an OCD operator.... obsessed with the fear that I might tune past a station and miss him.  

Then I realized, especially later in the contest, that when running ASSISTED I could simply trust the spots and tune quickly to seek someone I hadn't worked and get back to the missed stations later.  I don't have to work them in order... I just have to WORK them. So spending too much time trying to break a pileup when I can be working someone else only hurt my score.  I can move on and get back to the fray when the path improved or the pileup thinned out.  The same with obsessively, carefully tuning between spotted signals 'just in case' I might find one that no one had spotted yet.  The keyboard shortcuts you gave will certainly help with this!

Eventually it got to the point that I also realized that I was more productive seeking multipliers and especially "double multipliers" and let them run up my score quickly. Then there is break point that every new contact adds a lot of points because of all the multipliers.  I think I am starting to figure out this game, which I would never have been able to do without a great contest program.  I am now a big fan of the new N1MM+ program.  I have only used it as an OP for W1AW/9 in Indiana on 40 SSB a few months ago, and now this contest.  (I may have tried N1MM Classic a year ago, but only as a logger UNASSISTED.  I don't remember any more.)

Any other secret "hints' Stu?

Thanks,

Ken - NM9P
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just dabbled a short time during the contest, but I found that those calling 'CQ' only seemed to listen for a second or two before calling again. That is the time it takes me to draw breath and start replying (not really, but almost). Is this considered 'good' contest operating? To me it seems a good way to miss callers.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    It depends on the operator - both Writelog and N1MM/+ have a timed repeat CQ function - the default value is 1.8 seconds in N1MM+

Its not uncommon when the rate drops - as it most surely will on Sunday afternoon this coming weekend in Sweepstakes...

I resort to it myself but only with my finger poised over the ESC key to interrupt the sequence when some one calls me back - I usually put in a delay of 2.5 seconds for exactly the reason you state.

I used the digital voice keyer in phone events to send my callsign ( i have it pre-recorded) - so generally its easy to get in during the pause - just press the button.

Almost everything I send in a CW contest comes from the function keys - so equally quick on the draw.

Stu K6TU
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I usually leave it at 2 Seconds between Automatic CQ... anyone slower than that is not a contestor
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I thought that was the reason. But even when calling a relatively local station in another country, when you know the signal must be getting through, the number of 1 points x total multipliers that could be getting lost, all for a 5 sec QSO.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Answering your other question first... the bandmap will color your worked stations differently and will skip over them I believe when you use the keyboard short cuts to navigate the band map.

Don't know about "secret" but here are some thoughts...
    1. Its all about rate - whether you are S&P or Running - its ALL ABOUT RATE.
    2. if you calling CQ, watch the time from your last QSO... when it gets above 2 or 3 minutes, think about doing something different... like find a new freuqency, switch to S&P, tune over the band - but DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - its ALL ABOUT RATE :-)
    3. In N1MM+, configure the CAT as FLEX5000RX2 - now set up the logging program as SO2V.  You now have effectively two radios in one - still not FDX but two radios.  You can use the second "radio" for searching for multipliers, either in band or on a different band.  Use the logger """ key to move between the two entry windows (and yes, you can have two RTTY displays or two CW decoders - one for each radio if you want them).
    4. I feed the logging program spots via telnet to a local VE7CC CC-User that I have pre-configured with filters to give me the spots I want - this helps cut down on the clutter in the band map.
    5. Run propagation predictions ahead of time so you can build a band plan appropriate to the contest - use K6TU.NET if you want this quickly and with ease of use (shameless plug!).
    6. Use K6TU Control to avoid having to use the mouse at all with SmartSDR - second shameless plug.  For example, the iPad app would let you hit t the ATU tuner button without changing logging window focus.
    7. Automate everything you can through the logger or DDUtil...  for example, I have my amp fed band data from DDUtil so when I QSY, its already on frequency - very useful for #3 above.  I also feed the SteppIR controller the same data so it autotunes and also locks out the amp so I can key up while its tuning.
    8. Turning the rotor can be done from the logger - press ALT+J when a callsign is in the entry window and N1MM+ will then tell the logging program to turn the antenna to the appropriate call area or prefix.  You can also type the heading, then ALT+J and it will move the rotor to the appropriate heading.
    9. Change frequency?  Change mode?  Simply type into the entry window and hit Enter.
    10. Remember that in some contests, like Sweepstakes for example, MOST multipliers will come to you and you only have to work them once (assuming no QLF's).  I chase a few mults in SS like VE4, VE5 and some of the smaller ONT sections but pretty much everything is via CQ.  [YES, this only applies if you are LOUD - ie you can hold a CQ run frequency).
    Did I mention it's ALL ABOUT RATE? :-)

Its really worth sitting down and reading the documentation for your logging program.  
    Pick one or two new things to practice and commit to "muscle" memory every contest.

Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Stu.  This is the first time I have run a big contest with big software as assisted.  I thought tripling my last year's score was pretty good.  It was a lot of fun.

I have done contests off and on for about 30 years, but with the new computer stuff, and the 6500, I finally feel that I can actually get GOOD at it!  My only problem is that I am not proficient enough on CW to 'run' a frequency.  My next tool needs to be getting Skimmer running and interfaced with the logger.  But I don't think I want to learn ANOTHER logging program like Log4OM, which I hear is very well integrated.  Once I get skimmer running, and my LP on the tower, and an amp, THEN I may start trying to master multiple receivers, etc.  My first attempt at 'running' a frequency will probably be on SSB once I get the tower up.  Then I will need to incorporate antenna steering decisions into my band plan, or perhaps on 160 meters if I can get more radials under my inverted 'L' and add a good receive loop.

Thanks again.  You 'bigger guns' inspire me to push myself.  BTW, How did you do this year?  I haven't heard your scores, or Howards, or some of the other big contesters on here.  Just curious as to how far behind I am and how my single station with moderate antennas stacked up.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard, you are right.  About 2-3 seconds should be adequate.  If they are calling again when I get off my mike, it usually means that they can't hear me!  Or that there are too many calling and they can't understand anyone.  So I am learning to change antennas and try again, or move on and come back later.  

But one thing I have found is that some ops call inconsistently and when you THINK they are done and are listening, they send their call ONE MORE TIME while you are trying to call them.  Their CQ call, or their call after working someone, is unclear, leading to wasted time for everyone.  

My other pet peeve are the stations that constantly call 'QRZ?' after every contact and seldom send their own call, or speak it so rapidly that it is not copyable.  Then people must ask for clarification.  "Repeat your call?"  I have had to ask people to slow down and speak clearly.  Perhaps that makes me a contest LID, but only because THEIR operating habits lead to confusion and frustration.  I guess if I followed Stu's good comments "It's all about rate" then I would simply move on and work other stations!  I'm not going to waste ten minutes listening for a call just in case I haven't worked them yet.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    I didn't get on for a serious effort this past weekend - other commitments and getting everything ready for Sweepstakes...

I used to have the same theory about CW running - CW is my weaker contesting mode - I am pretty comfortable at about 22 WPM but that means most are faster than me...

That said, call CQ at a speed you are comfortable at higher up the band - say 14.050 or something like that.  Folks will generally come back at your speed plus, the frequencies will be quieter higher up with less QRM from the big guns.

You will be surprised how your CW skill will get better - give it a try and don't be bashful at using a CW decoder as a back up/crutch.  Make sure you program your function keys for fills and you will be on your way.

I will be BIC for an all out effort in both the CW and Phone weekends of Sweepstakes...  my goal is 150K on CW (I managed 120K after log checking last year) and > 200K on Phone (I was about 190K last year).  Both of last years events I only managed 20 hours BIC - this year I'm aiming for the full 24.

Stu K6TU
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    If they don't give their call, move on...  later in the contest they will be begging for QSO's.  Same is true for those whose callsigns are incomprehensible... such as "XE1A" I heard yesterday that turned out to be HK1NA - the op would have done his rate a favor by clear pronunciation at a slower pace - he sounded like he was inhaling helium.

S&P or Running...

Stu "Its ALL ABOUT RATE" K6TU :-)

PS: RATE is not an excuse for sloppy or inconsiderate operating - it is about being efficient!  Especially on phone, I will always take the time to explain the contest if someone calls me and "isn't in the contest" - rate is less important at that point than being considerate and maybe attracting someone new to radio sport.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Great thread I used my flex 6300 on Sunday in cqww ssb after abandoning a field day style m2 entry on Saturday due to multiple site and antenna issues. I am an experienced contester of 20 + years using n1mm classic . I used my 6300 and n1mm plus on Sunday to s and p mainly on 10m hp assisted and the dropped onto 15m and 40m in the evening to pick up countries and to put the radio through its paces in a major crowded contest . I had focus help running and was happy to use mouse to move the slice over stations when trawling the bands but mainly used the keyboard shortcuts to jump from one mult to the next - worked great. Very impressed with performance of 6300 on crowded 40m band narrowing filters and moving them to pull out weak ones - better than my previous ft1000d and current pro3 and easier to use than my recent ts590s. Looking forward to trying the 6300 in cqww cw now 73 Steve gw0gei
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Ken,

Let me put a good word in for Log4OM. It is the program I settled on after looking at nearly everything available. There are some excellent videos on YouTube and support via the forum is VERY fast. The documentation is very good and the author is very responsive. Plus the author is planning to use the FRS API.

That just illustrates the problem with modern ham radio...the plethora of very capable programs from which one has to choose.

When I was last OTA it was SSB or CW and you had to be a real enthusiast to dabble in SSTV or RTTY.

By the way, don't worry about the 'size' of your station. It ain't the size, it's what you do with it, hi hi.

Hope your Bronchitis is getting better and your voice getting back to strength.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Stu

What is "BIC" please?

TIA
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    **** IN CHAIR

:-)
    Stu K6TU
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu, Great information. One question is how are you dealing with running splits on 40. I found that it might be easier if there were two mice or two flex controls so I could control each slice. It was a lot of mouse clicks between slice b and logging soft ware to turn both VFOs. Hopefully my question made sense and I would welcome your comments on how you do it. Rate matters and it probably 10 seconds a qso additional time adjusting Mike N9DFD
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Mike,

I have two suggestions...

Until FlexRadio adds extended support for the FlexControl, use DDUtil if you can with its support for the FlexControl - for example, you could set DDUtil up so that to alternate between VFO A (slice A) and B (slice B), you simply tap on the knob.

The second solution is to use my K6TU Control ipad app (SPOTD #1  - shameless plug of the day ;-) and use it to select the slice you want to tune.  By default, the slice that is displayed in the detail view of the app is also set as the active slice in SmartSDR.  SSDR will tune whichever slice is active via the FlexControl.

When we originally designed the FlexControl, the concept was that you would have two separate modes of operation - one for S&P where the knob would alternate between tuning VFO A and B with a simple tap, and a second mode for CQ/running - where tapping on the knob alternated between VFO A and RIT - in that second mode, the double tap was designed to reset the RIT.

To get from one mode to the other was a long press on the knob switch.

Hope this all makes sense and is helpful! :-)

Stu K6TU
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DDUTIL, I should have thought of that it's installed and running and would have solved that problem. I have your app but have not tried it in competition. Will have to pull it out and try it as that would have been good as well just bumping from a to b Thanks for the tips Mike N9DFD
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Mike,

I've found that it takes some personal re-training to get optimum workflow with SmartSDR in combination with the logger, FlexControl and iPad App.

I've made it a point to think about what I'm doing whenever I find myself about to reach for the mouse to go and do something on SmartSDR during a contest.

Its the mental "ruler across the back of the hand" to make me break the old habit.

I do the same when learning new things I can do with the logging program.

I've found the best way to do this is to practice in a contest where I'm not going all out - for example, over the last two weeks, I've entered both the Fall pre-Stew Perry and the CQ WW Phone events as a training exercise for me.  My efforts have been around forcing myself to never change the focus away from the logging program.

Try the practice - you can do it while DXing or casual operating as well.  Set everything up as though you are going to contest, now make sure you never change the focus.

I've learnt a lot over the years from my aircraft training about what it takes to convert a trained response into a automatic response... repetitive practice in a safe learning environment (that generally means a simulator for flying!).

Try it - it doesn't take long especially when you can focus in a non-heat of the moment environment.

Stu K6TU
  • William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Barry is right - I meant keeping the AGC-T slider as much to the left as possible and my brain wants to call this "low"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.