Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Beta Works!

AA0KM
AA0KM Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

SmartSDR 1.3.8 No problems

Fldigi 3.21.83  No Problems

Just testing windows 10 Beta Build 9841

Radio is Flex-6500

2012 Dell XPS 8500 Computer is I-5 intel 3rd version 3.1ghz, 8gig ram.

Nvidia GT-620 1gig vram.

Thought maybe I'd say something about the next windows version.Couldn't find any other announcements at the time.

Thank you Flex. Awesome radio.

73 Jeff

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Has anyone tried the Flex on the Surface Pro?
  • W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    Same here!  Made one QSO with WSJT-X. 
    SSDR on the Beta works but feels like running SSDR on WIN-8! 
    Time will tell !

Jim
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I have done it on my Surface Pro 3 with a direct connection and it works great. I use an ethernet to usb adapter
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Have you tried it on WiFi? Can't see buying one if it's tethered to an Ethernet cable.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    No but when I get home next week I'll try it and let you know
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    A work around is to use the Flex on a dedicated computer and use the Surface Pro 3 on Teamviewer, and to transport the audio on Remaud. Remaud has very little latency compared to Teamviewer.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

It works perfect on my Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3.   I lay in the hammock and listen to my 6500 most evenings.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    How is the audio quality on the Surface Pro? Do you listen to the computer itself or do you have an external speaker? Does the Surface Pro support Bluetooth?
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The internal speaker is a little tinny (although good enough in a quiet environment)  but I normally use a headset in the 3.5 jack.   And yes, they have Bluetooth too - but I don't have any Bluetooth headsets or speakers to test with them.   I have though - used it in the Jeep on the drive and used the Surface Pro 3 as an audio device and streamed the Flex audio to the 19 speakers! lol
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    The audio is OK. I listen to it on that and through my headset. I don't have any amplified speakers yet. It has bluetooth but I have not tried it with my Jawbone bluetooth headset
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Thank you, all you gentlemen, for your input on the Surface Pro. I think I'll put one on my Christmas wish list. I know good luck! However, I think I'll have better luck than putting a 6700 on my wish list!

Jim

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Can any of you that is connecting with the Surface tablet create an installation instructions?

I like to give it a try.

Question, do I use the IP address that is in SmartSDR radio setup? And how do I connect to TeamViewer?

Computer is an avocation that I assimilate on my own and still learning.

Thank you in advance  :(

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Its really easy.  Install SmartSDR on Surface and fire it up.   If you are in the same room, then you have audio from your normal output of speakers etc - if somewhere else in the house, then use DAX to monitor the audio as detailed in many previous posts.  

SmartSDR will detect the radio if you are using a router - it will see it on the network.  

I have not used the Surface to TX - mainly to monitor.  But its just another PC.   Digital modes with DAX would be as easy as pie.

EDIT:

This post links to a video to explain DAX Remote Audio.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax_youtube_for_remote_listening

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Working well here. Just got 10 up and kept all the previous settings and files from 8.1. All is working well except for  Dax RX 1 shows not installed so moved to RX2 and all is well. Running with DDUtil and so far no other hiccups. Dax is stuttering on my machine but that's another thread. Ohh, and it's working with hardwire to router and wireless everywhere else in the house.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I use a surface pro 2 and my recommendation is don't do it. :-) Get something more powerful for your primary SDR computer. Also the wifi signal needs to be very strong. If you start to move away from your router, it will get choppy and probably disconnect pretty quick. Having said all of that, I wish I had a surface pro 3.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It's good to know that Windows 10 works with SSDR and FLDigi, et. al.  Even if it didn't right off, it probably would by the time the general release came out.  However, a word of caution.  This is technical preview software.  It's intended for developers to explore and tweak their app so that there isn't a lot of wrenting of cloths and gnashing of teeth when the commercial version is released.

And yes, there is a built in key logger.  So, if you're also using your computer to do your general day-to-day work, be advised that every keystroke is being recorded.  That is so that when there is a problem reported, those responsible for correcting it can explore the circumstances leading up to it.

Now, I don't think Microsoft is interested in my bank account information - everyone knows they already have enough money.  But if the keystrokes are in a file, you can be sure some hacker has already figured that out and has a plan to hijack them if he gets the chance.

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Having been in the computer industry since the mid 80's, I trust Microsoft's beta software more than most companies full release software. They catch a lot of flack, but they have some great programmers.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I know the feeling. If I get a Surface Pro 3, I'll lament the day I didn't buy a Surface Pro 4!
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I installed Win10 beta over the weekend.  I was having to do a complete reinstall of the OS on my ham shack machine because of some corrupt system files and decided to try the beta.  So far, I'll have say it's by far the best OS MS has ever put out. You can tailor it pretty much the way you want in terms of GUI.  If you don't want to deal with the metro stuff you really don't have to.  The start button is back where it should be allows you a high level of control.  The latest release of SSDR works just fine.  I have had a strange error message a few times when I've closed SSRD, but it's worked fine while it was up and running.  I've probably had less problems with Win10 in terms of compatibility with older programs than any Windows version ever. That must be a point of emphasis for this release.  -- Carl, N8VZ
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Carl,
    I couldn't agree more.  The Win 10 pre-release performs better than most Microsoft final release versions in the past.  I have not had to play compatibility mode with any of my legacy apps, they just work.
    If Microsoft would allow upgrade from this beta version to the final release I think I would go ahead and make it my production machine - it's that good and stable.
    Gene K3GC  
  • Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Yes, I can confirm that an upgrade path to the final release is planned by MS:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/12/12/win10-upgrade-path/1

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Created a Windows 10 virtual machine under Parallels 10 (Mac). It works very well using SSDR 1.3.8 with CAT and DAX. A few rough edges in the UI (Microsoft changes, developing software) but on the whole, it seems stable and smooth.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    George, is there any compelling reason (from a Mac to Win VM point of view) to switch from 8.1 to beta 10.   The newest update to Parallels 10 has specific support for Windows 10 beta.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay. Compelling, no. I was mostly curious how it would work. Does seem slightly better performing than 8.1, but that's probably just the fact that this is a new, clean install. A couple of "that's odd" moments when I start up (screens blank for a bit) and selecting the Start Menu seems not to work reliably in Coherence. Probably operator error here. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.