Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

W2IHY 8 Band EQ and W2IHY EQ Plus

Reggie
Reggie Member ✭✭

I am currently using a K3 with the W2IHY 8
Band EQ and W2IHY EQ Plus, and I get excellent on air audio reports. I will be purchasing the FLEX 6700, and I was wondering how does the Flex 6500/6700 downward expander and 10-Band EQ compare to using the W2IHY 8 Band EQ and W2IHY EQ Plus?

Thanks,

Reggie

Answers

• EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hey Reggie,

in my apinion the best results you can reach with Flexradio will be when you connect the MIC direct to it and use the internal equalizer.

PS. I done a lot of tests with Flex 5000 and W2IHY, but the best was without it.

Thanks,

Emil-DL8JJ

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Sorry I disagree.
    Have had the W2IHY stuff and it works far better than any internal  possibilities so far.

For personal preference  have found better.    But still nothing has came along that is easier to use with early success , than the W2IHY gear . Especially when you follow his mike sugestions and settings. 

Very few of us can just plug in a mike and have "Great audio" You know the kind that a un solicited report of "Man you sound fantastic"  

For "ME"  : I no longer use W2IHY gear 

I have also tried rack gear but now prefer Digital audio processing with VST's . Very low noise mike preamps, Studio grade mikes.Staged Compression , Multi track EQing. 

At least I have given up Asking  "How does my audio sound" 

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I am curious to what VST's you are using?  I am very interested is Digital audio processing.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    ok it depends on what I wish to acomplish . For easy to listen audio 
    By track have tried as many as 8 tracks to 15 tracks 

Blue cat dynamics modler
    Pro EQ
    Blue cat MB5
    Fabfilter Satern 
    Ozone max 

There is a major change in DX style where I use max. Compression serious form cutoff filtering  in stages to keep the duty cycle up there . Have a hefty amp that really has a workout.

That  idea is LOUD     Hi 
    by the way I also used the W2IHY stuff with a K3 Before the flex 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    I have found the W2IHY gear gives me the best audiowhen used with a Heil PR-40 mic. I have setup sheets i've written for both the 6300 front mic input and 6500 rear balanced line in. I can send a copy to anyone wishing to try my settings. 73 Dave, wo2x
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I have had the occasion to hear and work you And Dave. You do sound fantastic. I would definitely copy those settings
  • Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    HI Dave,

I just got my 6300 and have just wired up the PR-781  to work with my W2IHY and would like to have those settings if you don't mind.

Peter

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

Here is the setup I wrote for the W2IHY gear and the 6300. Pay attention to the level settings, especially the 8 band EQ mic in & out. Once you get it set up, do fine adjustments with someone on the air that knows your voice.

Dave, wo2x

SETUP INFO FOR W2IHY 8 BAND EQ, EQ PLUS, and Flex 6300

By Dave De ****, WO2X

This setup is for the Flex 6300 with W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus using the 8 pin mic in cable.

Setting radio TX Bandwidth

For rag chewing set radio TX filter bandwidth from 50 to 3500 Hz. If the bands are crowded then set bandwidth from 100 to 3000 Hz. (Voice tab)

Set the SmartSDR TX EQ to OFF

Set SmartSDR +20 dB mic boost to OFF (SmartSDR/Voice tab)

Set SmartSDR PROC to ON and set to Normal position

Set SmartSDR input to MIC

Set MIC level to approximately 19%

W2IHY 8 Band EQ

50 Hz      +8

100 Hz    +4

200 Hz     0

400 Hz     0

800 Hz    +4

1600 Hz   0

2400 Hz   +4

3200 Hz   +8

Noise Gate off

Mic impedance 600 Ohms (on bottom)

Turn switch on right to ON position to enable EQ.

NOTE – The MIC IN and MIC OUT adjustments on bottom of 8 band EQ should be preset. Only adjust them if necessary.

To adjust MIC IN and MIC OUT

Use a good pair of headphones and plug into the monitor on 8 band EQ. Turn monitor volume up Turn MIC IN fully counterclockwise. Adjust MIC IN (on bottom) to the point where the audio level comes back up but don't go too far, otherwise your mic will pick up excessive background noise.

The RED LED above the on/off switch should NOT blink. If it does, turn the MIC IN counterclockwise to reduce mic input level.

I'll cover the setting of the MIC OUT under the EQ PLUS setup.

EQ PLUS

Set the following:

Equalizer switch off

Bass - approx 2:30 o'clock (See picture below)

Treble - approx 3:00 o'clock (See picture below)

Mic impedance  600

Mic power  off

Gain 11:00 (see picture below)

Comp  approx 8:45 (see picture below)

Delay 10:00

Level 12:00

Effects  2

DE Level  -  Fully CCW

Expander Switch - leave off for initial settings, then turn on when you adjust DE Level

Output level. Fully clockwise. (see picture below)

Talk into the mic and watch the limiter meter on the EQ Plus. You should be lighting up three to four green segments on the limiter meter. If necessary, adjust 8 band EQ MIC OUT (located on bottom of 8 band EQ). Make sure the INPUT GAIN knob on EQ Plus is at 11:00.

Turn on the EQ and DOWNWARD EXPANDER switches on EQ PLUS. Key radio and talk into the mic. Adjust Balanced Audio level in SmartSDR so you just get 0 dB on level meter in SmartSDR on voice peaks. (The peak indicator will go from yellow to red when you get to zero)

Turn downward expander switch on EQ Plus on. Plug headphones into the Flex 6300.  Turn on the monitor in SmartSDR. Key radio and adjust monitor level in SmartSDR to comfortable level. If you hear background noise turn DE LEVEL on EQ Plus clockwise until background audio starts to mute. Do not adjust too far or the audio will get choppy. On my EQ Plus I leave the DE level fully CCW.

NOTEMy EQ Plus is a newer version where the DE Level knob was changed from a 500K Ohm **** to a 100K Ohm ****. This change has a little bit of downward expansion enabled when fully CCW and makes the adjustment much smoother.

That's it! This should get you close. Now you can tweak to get the settings that are right for your voice. The Heil PR-40 matches up VERY well with the W2IHY equipment.

NOTEThe PR-40 and other dynamic mics can suffer from proximity effect. I find staying about 5 to 6 inches from the mic is the sweet spot.

• Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Get great audio reports with SmartSDR set up DX+ and 10 band software equilizer.  Sold my W2IHY box as no longer needed.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    Can't see a picture below as stated
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    What is connected first the 8 band equaliser or eqplus ?
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    What position does the dexp in ssdr have to be set at on or off
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

It goes in this order.

MIC -> 8 band EQ -> EQ Plus -> Radio

If you follow my procedure above the DE/COMP switch is initially off for level settings then turned on later in the procedure.

If you like I will email you a copy of the pdf.

Dave, wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

Sorry, didn't read your question correctly. DXP in SSDR should be off. PROC in SSDR should be on and normal position.

Dave

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    AH !!! Well I also have sold mine , Along with some pretty interesting rack gear , Now running electronic .  

What I have found is Audio is very subjective. And Carl , I am glad you like Yours .

There are so many avenues to play audio

. I have found out that internals  in the Flex for audio did  limit the result . 

The 2 box approach W2IHY  Again for me fell  short on aspects of audio control. (The best results were with WO2X settings) 

Rack gear  for me was frustrating add another piece and you will get this and that . For  Some very good results .

As I  became  more Aware  of what and how to accomplish what I wanted  the Electronic Venue  offered  to me all  . 

Now it's in search of HD audio DUTY cycle .   More   FUN !!  
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    Setup as per your instructions and am getting fantastic reports,thanks so much.tony
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Dave really has the ihy. gear figured out.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. The settings seem to work well for ragchewing. I just tighten up to 150-2900 for DX and bring the processor up to DX or DX+ as needed.

Dave, wo2x

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    Will try that and let you know if it makes any difference to already great audio.tony m6dyr
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi Dave just a couple of questions,first the only way I can get background noise off my microphone is if I turn up the de level to max on my eqplus second is what is the purpose of the volume control on the power on/off rotary control on the 8 band equaliser.thanks
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Hi Tony,

In the document above I cover adjusting the MIC IN and MIC OUT on the 8 band EQ. You plug headphones into the jack on the rear of the 8 band EQ and use the knob to adjust the monitor level. Here's the procedure:

To adjust MIC IN and MIC OUT

Use a good pair of headphones and plug into the monitor on 8 band EQ. Turn monitor volume up Turn MIC IN fully counterclockwise. Adjust MIC IN (on bottom) to the point where the audio level comes back up but don't go too far, otherwise your mic will pick up excessive background noise.

The RED LED above the on/off switch should NOT blink. If it does, turn the MIC IN counterclockwise to reduce mic input level.

Another way is the listen to the background noise when plugged in the monitor of the 8 band EQ and adjust the MIC IN to where the noise almost completely disappears. You do not want to turn it too far down or the input circuit will be starving for audio and it will sound like raspy or RFI on your audio over the air. The trick is to reduce the background to where you can barely hear it in the monitor circuit.

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    That does not answere my second question,what is the function of the volume control on the on/ off rotary control
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Thought it did. When you plug the headphones into 8 band eq to adjust MIC IN it adjusts headphone monitor level
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    Found the problem with first question there was a second ground to the shell of 8pin connector cut that off and now I can get de level down to fully ccw no problem
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    I thought you adjusted that with the monitor level control on bottom right of eqplus,sorry im thick lol.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    No problem Tony. You using a Heil cable from mic to 8 band? Heil continues to make the cable with a short piece of wire from the mic low pin out around the clamp of the connector shell. This creates a ground loop and introduces RFI. Modern radios work better with that jumper wire removed. Dave, wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.