Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexLib AGC-T values in dBm

Bill - K7UOP
Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas

Some time ago I wrote a program for PowerSDR CAT to automatically set AGC-T just above the noise floor. In PowerSDR the AGC-T value seemed to be related to dBm. For example if noise floor = -106 dBm, I would set AGC-T to 96 (i.e. = abs(-106) - 10). Where 10 dB above the noise floor (adjustable) gives some quieting but you can still hear the weak signals.

Right now in SmartSDR, slider adjustable values are standardized to 0-100. Would it be possible to add a Slices.AGCThresholdDB property to FlexLib, i.e. set and get dB values related to signal level in dBm ?

Setting AGC-T to the correct value, quieting noise, really enhances copy of signals right around the noise floor. AGC Threshold is much better, in this regard, than AGC Gain in other radios.

16 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

16 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bill,

If you get this working I would love to have a copy. I seem to spend a lot of time fiddling with the AGC-T.

Jon...kf2e
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bill,

I would also be very interested in trying a copy. I'm constantly looking for that sweet spot which is tricky to establish for all the different conditions. I'll have to try the info you just imparted. (F6300).
    Tom
    W4TMW

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Great idea. A radio with band condition sense, in a way to put it. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Al, Always impressed with your mockups. :)

I agree that having the Auto AGC-T built in to SmartSDR would be the best solution. But, my first effort would be to add SmardSDR support to my existing (external) program. If Flex doesn't add this feature, I might look into using their Waveform API to create an add-on program that would allow users to install this feature to the radio. But, I don't know enough yet what possibilities exist with the Waveform API. Maybe someone at Flex could comment.

Not to be picky :)  about your mockup, but.... I'd probably have the range 0-25 dB. At 25 dB the radio (my Flex5K) is just about dead quiet. But, to hear the weak signals I usually set mine to 10 dB.  Also, the unit of measure should be dB not dBm. dBm is the number of decibels relative to 1 milliwatt, which is an absolute number and used, for example, to indicate signal levels. Here, we want to set the AGC Threshold to some dB above the noise floor, whatever it may be.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill,
    Thanks for the feedback.  I made the adjustments to the mockup and notes.

Features:
    - retain ability to manually adjust the AGC-T by selecting "Manual" button.
    - provide the ability to automatically and dynamically adjust the AGT-T by selecting the "Auto" button.
    - Provide a slider for the auto setting to adjust from +0 dB to +25 dB.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

***** Updated Mockup ******

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I am also very impress with your mock up... Great!  I vote for this to be implemented.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill and group,
    If the idea to add the "automatic" AGC-T control to the SSDR GUI is feasible,  should it be duplicated on the "SmartSDR for Windows" category to get more input and potentially more support (votes) from others that are not be following the  Services: SmartSDR API  category?

Or is there a way to add other categories to this idea?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    WOW  I want one .

• Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Al, What I was asking for is a change to the FlexLib API. I didn't expect any "Likes" for the idea. Was only looking for feedback from Flex Radio programmers.

I don't see any way for me to add this topic to another Category. You may publish this idea in a separate category if you like.

• Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Al... After looking a little more closely at the Waveform API, from what documentation and hints from comments in the code, I doubt that a 3rd party developer like me will be able to implement what you have mocked up.

The FreeDV (digital voice for ssb) example adds a new item to the list of Modes (CW, LSB, AM, etc. and now FreeDV). The actual controls (GUI) are displayed in a separate program outside of SSDR. There are no provisions to create buttons and sliders within the SSDR GUI.

To make your mockup happen Flex Radio programmers would have to add this feature to SmartSDR.  And, I "Like" that idea.  :)

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill, 
    I added the new idea for incorporating it into SmartSDR.    Thanks for your feedback, you deserve the credit for this and I hope it is something that can be done.  We'll have to see if other users and the developers agree on the utility but it sure seems like a nice feature. 

Link to the SmartSDR version:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/option-to-automate-the-agc-t-setting

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.