Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 Series headphones impedance

K3HEX
K3HEX Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm looking to get a good pair of studio headphones to plug into the 1/4" jack on the front of my 6300, but can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere in the technical docs.  What is the nominal and range of impedance for the front panel headphone jack?

73 de K3HEX

Answers

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I don't know the impedance but I have a pair of Radiosport headphones that I use - they beat my Heil ProSet hands down.  I don't use headphones a lot but when I do, it's usually a soft DX signal that I really need to concentrate on.

http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/Headsets.asp

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The Grado SR60's are very very good on ear headphones. I think you could pay over a thousand dollars to get something equivalent to them. They are much cheaper than that, check out Amazon. I think the reason they sound so good is Mr.Grado listens to them to judge them, instead you using test gear and looking for good specs.

Dan
  • Alan ---  N5MSE
    Alan --- N5MSE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I've been using the Heil Pro Set 3 on my 5000 and 6500 for the last 2 years.  They do require an adapter for 1/4 in.  They are excellent.
  • Neil K2NF
    Neil K2NF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Only published spec I have seen from Flex  for the 6000 series is:

<Headphone output : 16 Ohm Minimum Load  @ 21mw >

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Almost all audo output and headphones these days are low impedance, so as to work with low power solid state devices. It is very rare to see anything higher than this in modern electronic devices. The exceptions to this are some audiophile targeted devices. I use a Bose headset with switchable input on the low setting.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm using a Heil Proset 5 (HC-5 Element) with my Flex 6300.  No outboard audio processing.  I get very good audio reports.  The headset is very comfortable to wear for long periods.

I'm in Kansas and I spoke with a ham (W1AEX - Bob) in Connecticut.  He videoed a portion of our conversation.  He was using an Anan 100 connected via PowerSDR.  You can make your own opinion of my Heil ProSet 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiY3h3Wkw_4

• Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds pretty good. What TX EQ settings are you using on the 6300?
    Any processing or DEXP?

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The settings I use for AM are as below.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
               Have had a long list of headphones.  Active noise cancelling phones will take out air
     conditioner noise, blowers, lawnmowers, etc. without feeling like your head is in a clamp.
         I use Bose, very comfortable.

Ned,  K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.