Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone else find DAX system selection to be cumbersome?

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just made a jt65 qso to confirm I have the correct DAX Choices setup for digital modes.
As I'm a DXer mostly, I really only need 2 slices, maybe  some super rare DX station may have a pileup so wide that a 3rd slice would help to find his listening frequency pattern. But that's doubtful.
But basically I only need 1 slice to listen to the DX station and the other slice for finding the Split transmission frequency.
But I kept four sets of DAX that I previously used for now.

(I only have four sets of DAX as a couple of my legacy programs only allow a TOTAL OF 8 SOUND CHOICES and installing all 8 DAX groups eliminated the legacy programs from having any legacy sound device choices.)
(another suggestion for the Flex Code writers. Don't eliminate existing LEGACY sound choices without permission.)

The order in Windows Sound applet is very confusing and it's easy to get the wrong selection for your program. The Windows Sound applet is fixed size and requires scrolling to find & make the correct choices.
The Dax choices should be tied together.
I know there 'could' be some situation where you would wish to mix and match.
But for my style of operating....
Cw, digital, and some SSB, having all the DAX 1s tied together, DAX 2's tied together, etc. makes more sense.
Not sure why someone would want to use:
DAX Audio RX 1
DAX Reserved RX3
DAX Audio TX4
And you must make sure you have selected the correct Sound choice, Playback or Recording or Sounds, or Communications.
If for PSK you select DAX 1's, for 'Sound' it should automagically also select for Recording  and Playback.

A much neater way of doing this would be to have SSDR ask you which set of DAX you want to use for each digital program.
(I use the same for all as I don't work more than 1 digital program at a time) But I can see that someone just may have  PSK and JT65 running at the same time and need to have different DAX choices for each program).

To add to the messy Windows Sound Selection Window, I still have VAC  I still have my Flex5K. But that's my problem.
To compound the possible confusion, the Windows Sound Window is a fixed size, the choices are not in any order, and you have to scroll which limits how many choices you can see at the same time. I made a mistake due to that restriction.
(I wrote down all my choices on a piece of paper so I didn't accidentally select the wrong one). I know...it's a computer and I still need pencil and paper. LOL

Now having said all that. DAX is great when you have it set up correctly. But due to size of the Sound Window, and some very similar DAX names, it's easy for a old guy like me to make errors.
When it's working DAX is great, when it's not, well, you can waste a lot of time to find the error.
Maybe I'm the only person who finds DAX selection process a pain.
But if someone out there has a better idea, lay it on me. I much rather operate than try to problem solve.
Plus I'm old, can't afford wasting any more time.

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I mainly work JT65/9 and occasionally do the PSK/RTTY/Olivia etc... that HRD has made available. I use 2 slices when I get tire of the JT65/9 music to my ears.

I really don't see why you need 2 or 3 slices to track a DX station.  I just look and see who its' been answered.  What I noticed is that they answer, who ever is in the clear; since that is only a click away.  Most of the time they hop all over the band to prevent pile up: Like you see on CW.

Since WSJTx is not part of the HRD package, I set one DAX for WSJT and another for the HRD software. 

VAC is out of my vocabulary, since I rid myself of all PDSR radios.  DAX operates very well and you don't have to be an computer **** to set it  (thank you Flex.)

The DAX record and play back could not be any easier than what it is. And as an old **** like you I rather rely on my settings, rather than have it done automatically.

Finally, I think you are the only one who finds DAX a pain :)  LOL

F-6700LE GPSDO with 8 slices that I don't know what or how to use it all, with just a set of ears.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2019
    Ernest
    you may be misunderstanding my intent.
    1. Dax is great, it's the selection process of various programs that require the correct DAX choices be made.
    many of the digital programs make the correct selection of the appropriate DAX numbers a exercise in frustration.
    The applets used to select the appropriate DAX choices are small, do not show the complete DAX description.
    And that makes for errors in selection. It certainly did for me.
    Dax is simple, if you can see full description of the choices in the portion of the program your using to select the correct DAX description.
    It would also help if they were sorted numerically.

As for how many slices to track a DX station.
    1. to listen to the DX station
    2. to listen for where he is listening
    3. admittedly more rare, but in the case of a major pileup, I mean MAJOR, I used a 3 slice showing the band portion above slice 2.
    The DX station was jumping from 14.202 up to 14 325. and parts in between.
    Not often will that 3rd slice be needed but it has happened.
    (another use would be the case of a dxpedition operating on multiple bands. a 3rd slice could be use to listen for the station on band 2)
    Done that a few times.
    Oh and thank you for the multiple band JT65 contacts we have made and the LoTW qsls for them.

Dax is good, it's the 3rd party selection process that can be inherently error prone.

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I don't understand you issues Bill. I am a very heavy user SSB Digital, DX and contest. I find that the Dax and slices are quite well thought out and easy useable. I have sent a few emails in the last few weeks to help you with DAX but maybe I don't understand your operating style. It works great for me

All that being said, I will talk to you over the phone if you'd like to try to understand and offer some advice. I am good on QRZ if you'd like to talk off line and hopefully I can help you sort this out

Mike
    N9DFD
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Bill,

It was not clear when I read your question.  Now understand your tabs 2 and 3 when there are multiple band in use by an expedition operating CW or SSB.

However, not for WSJT operations as I explained on my original comment.

I also like to thank you for the JT65 contacts and LoTW confirmations.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    DXing is totally different setup from my WSJT-x setup.
    Each setup requires a different way of using DAX.
    As DAX is very versatile, It allows me to use one of the 'sets' for each mode. And I can have all the different sound card type apps running at the same time.
    Pretty hard to do that with legacy sound cards. LOL

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I appreciate your offer of help. Unfortunately I'm not making myself clear.
    My only complaint with DAX was that it overwrote, replaced, soundcard setups in legacy programs I use.
    No software should EVER overwrite settings or choices of totally different program without permission.
    And it would be a lot easier to select DAX for programs that require sound if all you had to do is say:
    For xyz digital program, use DAX 3 combo, and it would automagically select IQ3, Receive 3, and transmit 3
    Manually having to select a choice 3 times is a system prone to make errors. (some legacy programs don't have complete soundcard descriptions)
    Plus while I rarely ever chase a DX station on SSB, Diigital, or my favorite mode CW that I already have confirmed on that band as I already am pretty high on the rankings and don't wish to deprive someone else who needs that DX Station on that bandmode, I do work a log of contests in cw or digital modes.
    But let's put this discussion to rest...I'm old and don't learn new tricks quickly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.