Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

profile Order

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My bands show up in proper numerical order in the profiles except for 160. From top to bottom it shows 10, 15, 160, 17, 20, 30, 40, 80....Obviously the order is only good for 2 digits.

Comments

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

The profile lists are sorted alpha numerically so you will have to prefix your band number with a letter and spaces. For example “B  10M” where there are two spaces between the B and the number 10. So a 3 digit number would only use 1 space. For example “B 160M” would have 1 space between the B and the number. Using this approach or similar one will keep your bands in order.

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Huh?
    Well I guess I will just change everything to frequency...  1.8, 3.5 etc. Maybe that will work. 
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Well forget that idea. It won't take decimal points! Give up.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I would like to help, what don't you understand about my suggestion?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Keep it simple do this...

A-1.8
    B-3.5
    C-7.1
    ...etc

Jon...kf2e
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks. 
    Crude isn't it? Hope Flex can do better than this.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It's not really Flex. It's the way alpha numeric sorts work. This link explains the order of sorts.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/322067

Jon...kf2e

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I agree, it does seem a little crude. Hopefully the Profile feature is a work in progress. I have the same issue when entering a 6 meter profile. It gets stuck in between 40 and 80 meter profiles. To get around that I add a zero in front of the 6. Another problem, at least to me is the profile list is getting very  long. It would be nice if there was a way to categorize the entries similar to the way SDR Memory is set up.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Oh I have so much trouble with this thread!
    It is an %$*& alphabetical sorted list and is entirely up to the user in how the entries are named.
    Want a numerical sort:  Name the fields with leading zero(s) or blank(s)

Want an indexed list - Place the index in front of the other information (as an alphabetical key) and quickly scroll down while viewing the index as it increments.

Want hundreds of entries of events, frequencies, power, even audio equalization?  Make the entries with a sequence obvious to the casual observer.  After all this is replacing a round-robin list of 3 setups in other radios.

The most to ask FRS is to implement a first character index when more than xx entries start with the same character.

Stan Williams - VA7NF

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    IIRC it is a windows thing, but it can be overcome in software.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    I think Jon KF2E hit the nail on the head.  The Profile list is sorted alphabetically by profile name.  As such, you can organize it however you like given how you name it.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Well not really....17 is a smaller number than 160 but it puts 160 first. That isn't "sorted".

I understand there are some tricks to make it work but it doesn't really.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    It is not sorted numerically.  It is sorted alphabetically.  17 is "larger" than 160 alphabetically.  It is indeed sorted, but it is not numerically sorted.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Blame Microsoft
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Other programs seem to manage to overcome this. Windows explorer does not have this problem. I have come across windows programs that sort both ways. Filezilla, for example, sorts them the other way. Her is a shot of my explorer window sorted by name, ascending order.

• Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2018
    Windows explorer actually has a numeric sort order option which can be turned off: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-7-file-name-sort-order/b6bb...  I think what I'm hearing is that you would prefer numeric order rather than alphabetic.  Is this correct?
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Yes since bands are numeric or at least in my head they are. 
    73 Steve
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Well actually I would prefer to just list them in any order I prefer and not have them sorted but i guess that gets a bit complicated.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    How about just a drag and drop so you can arrange them anyway you want once saved as a profile. Maybe even a main and subfolders.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If people would take a few minutes to understand how the sort works they could put things in any order they want. This is at the bottom of things I want Flex working on.

Jon...kf2e

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ok Jon. Take a few minutes and explain why 160 is sorted higher than 17. 
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Because 6 is sorted before 7. Think of it in columns, 1 is the same for both, then 6 before 7. Nothing after the second column changes this. If they both started 16 then the third column would determine the sort. The sort progresses from left to right.

Jon...kf2e
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My not just give us the choice if possible? There could be a 50:50 split on preference. If I had to chose one, I would go for numeric.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Why should people have to putz about with, what is to them, an illogical sorting order? Even if I were satisfied with the current setup, I would want my fellows to be have the choice.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ham bands have an order to them. The sorting in SSDR breaks that, natural ham order. So would the 10th person in a race be counted in 2nd place? The 12th in 3rd etc, hi hi?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.