Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Mode Keying

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Radio will not Transmit via DAX
Unless manually Keyed

Ports are configured per this setup

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr_ham_radio_deluxe_dm780_howto_setup_guide?r...

I do not have any physical cables other then Flex to Switch and Computer to Switch then both down to Router.

My understanding was DAX used a Virtual Port that I created in Smart Cat.

Any Input would be appreciated.

Ian

Answers

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I am not aware of any issue that would require DAX to employ a virtual com port.
    While I don't quite understand DAX completely, it's my understanding that it's noting more than virtual cables...
    Placing the rig into and out of transmission mode is the job of Com ports, real or virtual.
    But my track record this past 4 weeks is less than stellar so maybe someone can eleaborate.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Instead of using HRD as the main program you ill get better response (and it should work for keying) if you use DDUtil 3.0 to handle the HRD server function. Make sure that the virtual port you created in SmartCATshows that it is set for PPT and RTS/DTS are clicked. Use the set-up directions for DDUtil that are listed elsewhere on the forum but make sure that the HRD Server box is clicked and that you have selected HRD 6.2 (assuming that is what you have loaded).

In DDUtilStart up SmartSDR (make sure SmartCAT and DAX applets are running and then start DDUtil. Once that is started up go ahead and launch DM-780 and the HRDLogbook (if you use it).

If you have Mini Deluxe loaded (what we use for the Flex 5000/3000 to run HRD make sure that it is removed or shut off.

• Yancy Lucas
    Yancy Lucas Member
    edited September 2014
    So I have used DM780 without issue until v1.3.  Every appears to be working correctly, the application keys the radio but DAX doesn't show any signal being pushed through.

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Receive, Transmit, or both?
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Guy's

I am able to receive with no issues and Dax shows correct.
    Transmit works and shows correct in DAX but it simply will not Key the Flex 6500.
    Only way to key is via a manual foot key all works correct.
    Speaking to Rick how owns HRD and allowed him to remote into my machine he say's the problem is on the Flex DAX Keying of the radio.

Personally I'm not looking to point fingers just get things working.

DDUtil 3.0 is loaded but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Ian
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

FYI DAX does no keying, it is only a digital audio transport just like VAC is for the PowerSDR radios.

Give DDUtil 3.0 a whirl...hopefully that will make it all come together for you.

• Yancy Lucas
    Yancy Lucas Member
    edited January 2017
    After working on thing for several hours tonight I think I have this issue resolved.  I am able to use DM780 with HRD or DDUtil and it works.  I found that some of the setting in the guide do not work correctly.  Ian, if you want to review settings shoot me an ylucas@tacpros.com and we can talk offline.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    How about posting screen shots of your solution
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    FYI DAX will key VOX just like any other microphone
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    That's true but Ian was looking for a solution for DM780 to key the radio I believe.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am using FLDigi and use the Hamlib controls to send TX/RX commands to the rig. It doesn't need a separate PTT port or VOX, just the single dedicated serial CAT port.

However... There have been several instances where I needed to gain access by any of the following means...

1) bumping the MOX button on and off.
    2) turning the DAX RX/TX buttons on and off in the DAX Control Panel.
    3) closing and reopening CAT after it "lost" the command function connection to FLDigi. (Connection still worked with my ACLog program.)
    4) closing and reopening DAX.

These glitches have happened "at random" and I haven't been able to correlate any particular cause, other than "bouncing around" the bands and modes like a crazy contester! The same issues may apply to DM780 and other software.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    UpDate

With the latest Flex software and the Beta DM780 released on Oct 2 the Flex 6500 is working perfect.

The Digital world is amazing and thus far I have only explored the world of BPSK31.

Thanks to everyone for helping me on this issue.

Ianimage

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.