Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX/PROC on together???

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

When using digital modes using DAX for the audio stream to the 6700, if the PROC button is on, compression is applied to the signal. I thought that the EQ and PROC functions were automatically shut down when DAX is selected.

2 questions:

Is this normal or a program error?

What does compression do to the digital output?

If PROC should not be used with DAX it is easy enough to turn off but you do have to remember to do it.

Al   N4AB

Answers

• Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    PROC and EQ are automatically bypassed when the mode is set to DIGU or DIGL.

The DAX button just enables/disables DAX Input
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    However, in the latest release 1.3 the compression meter is active with DAX input, leading to some confusion. It was not this way in the previous version.
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I should not have said "digital modes", I was referring to the transmitting mode JT65 or JT9 not the filter settings DIGU or DIGL. I am using USB filtering set at 4000 Hz so I can cover both of the Digital transmit modes (0 - 2500 Hz JT65 and 2500 - 4000 Hz JT9). In the DIGU/DIGL filtering modes the PROC button is greyed out and I assume not available for use, however in USB filtering mode the PROC button is not greyed out and can be selected even when using the DAX input.

This gets me back to the 2 questions, is this normal and what does compression do to the signal if it is actually working when both the DAX and PROC buttons are selected and also lit. The compression meter show that it is working with this setup.

The DIGU/DIGL max bandwidth selection needs to be increased to 4000Hz (vice 3000Hz) to make it compatible with the very popular WSJT-X program. This is just my 2 cents worth as I know I can just drag the filter out to 4k, however to make it easy ............(a mouse click is easy).

Thanks Ed.G and Ken for the reply to my post.

Al   N4AB

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Easy to fchange max bandwidth Just create a global and XMT profile for WSJT with 4000 Albeit you might want to limit XMT profile to something much tighter to eliminate IMD's so people can copy u better. Do not use SSB mode for digital as SSB mode has PROC and EQ enabled which what one wants for SSB via DAX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.