Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CWX takes too much screen room.

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I love CWX, as mainly a cw op, I was waiting for this feature. And I'ts great.
Allows me to send flawless code. (arthritis) but it takes too much screen room.
Even with two big monitors, I use up all available space.
So my suggestion is to allow the CWX applet to be resizeable.especially width wise.
Or better yes, allow each of the Fmemories be size adjustable to what's entered for that F key
For instance
F3 tu 599 IL de W9OL
The rest of that physical screen space is wasted. Maybe one of our users can tell me how to make the CW applet resizable. I've tried to resize it to no success.
CWX is GREAT.  I was waiting for it from the first day the radio arrived. Hopefully you can see a way to either have it shrinkable Or .... after have an edit mode where we can fill in the messages and then a 'use' mode where we just see the black Fkey buttons.
CWX is a GREAT feature, but it takes up a LOT of screen room.

PS: Curious if any other feel this way, or if you found a way to minimize the screen space of CWX?

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Bill,
    So far I only use CWX to send a few canned messages (Call, 599, etc) using 3 of the F-Keys.  Here is my low tech approach to use zero screen space......see snapshot. 

If I was using it interactively in place of a paddle, I would agree, it does take up a lot of space. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also really like the new CWX.  
    But once I have the function keys edited, I don't usually leave the CWX control panel on the screen.  I just use the Function Keys.  But I must remember that SmartSDR must have the "focus" of the computer.  There have been many times that I hit a function key only to fund that I have activated another function on my DIGI program, or my logging program, rather than CWX... this is frustrating, but an operator error not the fault of CWX.  

That said, I do wish that we had a third option that only had the push-buttons, along with a button that would open up and activate the keyboard function so I can start sending "Live" with the keyboard in a faster, quicker manner.  

While I LOVE the Flex radio, I don;t like to have to "mouse around" all over the control screen of my rig in order to use it.  There are many functions that could become keyboard shortcuts or menus.  The reason? Using the mouse requires both my hand and my eyes to be focused on the same spot at the same time.  If I must take my eyes off something else I am doing - logging, looking at the DX spots, watching my FLDigi display, etc., then it slows me down, especially for a function that could be done with a keyoard shortcut, or a knob pr button on an external controller, or a press on the FlexControl knob.  Using a mouse is great for some functions, but it is not convenient or effective in all situations.  (And I can't afford a large touch screen monitor at the moment.)
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Well I use dual monitors. My issue is that with CWX open, it takes up 1/3 of the space alloted to SSDR. And to aggravate it a bit: when I click on the CWX, it opens sliding from Right to Left.
    So for that instant, I'm distracted. Just a minor annoyance.
    But I think it's about 30 characters/line (3). That's a log more than I need (as a DXer).
    For me, size customizeable would be beneficial. Others may need to put their life's history.
    I didn't see anything
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ken,
    I use the keyboard function keys and as you noted, you have to keep the focus on SSDR for this to work.  If you program the buttons on the FlexControl (under SSDR setup) for the CWX keys, they will work regardless of the focus.  

Here is a mockup for a minimized set of CWX buttons.  They wouldn't take up much room over on the left margin.  The buttons would have 2 options:
    - LEFT click to send the code
    - RIGHT click to see what is stored
    -  The "LIVE" button would pop up a small window for live typing.  

The CWX button on the bottom would still work as today and pop up the full size window if/when needed.  

Is this sort of what you had in mind?  

Bill, would this be useful from you perspective?  I think it could be a lot less work than resizable and dockable windows.  I'm not saying that what you suggested wouldn't be as good or better, but the buttons may be easier and potentially more likely to get done.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    The only thing I may suggest would be instead of naming them
    CW1
    CW2
    etc
    let me name them:
    F1 CALL
    F2 RST
    F3 RST IL
    F4 NAME
    F5 73
    ETC.
    and make the description fields as wide as the characters

Somehow I doubt the code writers at Flex will like my idea.
    But the whole Flex system is based on User Customization.
    May not appeal to others, but it would save me screen estate.
    As it is now, I don't have a buffer that exceeds half of the space available.
    Guess being a DXer-Contester where brevity is crucial....brings out the PITA in me.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like it, Al! But like Bill, I would love even more being able to have an 8-10 character label for each one, like on FLDigi and other programs. I could do with or without the F1, F2 labels if I can add my own. If I want the F1 label, I can add it myself. Having the button width the same as the +RX, +TNF and other buttons seems to be a nice size. But my own operating style has the CWX buttons on the right, and inside of the TX panel. I really like the idea of a "live" button that opens up a small text window at the bottom of the screen. One line halfway or a quarter across the bottom would be adequate. It wouldn't need to be very big if it is live.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken and Bill, Customizable button labels could be added to the setup screen if FRS decides to provide the enhancement. The 'right click' could still show the full memory string. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    sounds like a good idea.
    Anything to conserve window space.
    I use two big monitors and still don't have enough room for everything I want to see.

But I doubt my wishes  have the same power as others....
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Duh, if it's in the instructions, manual, or was posted that once set up, CWX will send your preferred messages simply by hitting the appropriate F key without having the CWX screen being displayed.
    Double Duh....
    In the words of Emily Lutilla, 'Nevermind'!

I constantly amaze myself as to how much information I can NOT absorb.....I totally missed the CWX part that CWX does NOT have to be onscreen.
    Going back to my room....
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I see only one best solution that can be suitable for every body: dockable/undockable GUI. I also need minimized type of the GUI where on PAN only slice are available

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.