Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 Quiescent Current Draw?

Jim  KJ3P
Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭

My 6300 runs from my 12V (13.5V) battery backup system, and I'm wondering whether the 6300 draws a small amount of current when it's "off." If so, how much?

If current is drawn, I'm also wondering whether part of this is the TXCO drawing current to keep the crystal at a stable temperature? Or does the TXCO start off "cold" upon turn-on.

Answers

• Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I believe the 6300 and the 6500 use a TXCO (Temperature compensated crystal oscillator) which does not have a heater so no current when turned off.

The 6700 has an OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) which has a small oven that keeps the crystal at a specific temperature when the rig is shut off, as long as you keep 13.8V applied. 

Tom, K3TF.......

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Tom,
    There was some confusion/misinformation about the OXCO being powered when the radio is off.  But according to Steve H.  it is not.  See the discussion at this thread.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/thunderstorms_persistence_and_remote_operation_3_qu...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought a tcxo had to have a heater and needed to run 24/7 to regulate temperature. Also these rigs all use a "soft switch" turn on for the push button off/on and remote off/on so it does need a small current for that. Of course we could find out  in 2 minutes with a VOM.
    Steve
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    HI Al,

Thanks for the info. Just got my Flex 6500 last week and still learning. 

Tom K3TF.........

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VOM:  Ok, I'm lazy!...didn't want to go to the trouble only to find out that my VOM isn't sensitive enough.
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    In Summary:  I've learned the difference between OXCO and TXCO, and that none of the 6x00 radios keeps the oscillator running when "Off". Except maybe the 6700's GPS option. I had found that the 6300 is on frequency so quickly after turn-on, that I thought it might be kept warm. As usual, my assumption was wrong. I also understand that the current for the tiny housekeeping circuit for the ON button will not be a worry for my situation.

As always, thanks for the education!
    73, --Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.