Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR CAT ehancement (like vspe splitter)

W4YXU
W4YXU Member
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
I have reduced my fiddling around try to figure out which rig control port and which PTT port is available by combining SSDR CAT with the VSPE that used with the F5k.  Also reduces my forgetting which ports matched which when the numbers get to 10 (Senior problem - CRS!).

My serial port arrangement is now as  listed in ascending port #'s:
1 - GPS rcvr (Actually I use VSPE to put it on ethernet port 3292 for use around the house).
2, 3  -  Physical ports on PC
4 - Flex Control Knob (It usually wants this one anyway!)
5 - SSDR Rig Control cat  commands ( NOT my choice - more later!)
6 - SSDR PTT for F6500
7 - VSPE SPLITTER from port 5 - VSPE splitter ports can be assigned simultaneously to multiple programs.
8 - VSPE SPLITTER from port 8 (Same as above)
I run VSPE as a service and forget about it.

Suggestion:  find out how to make SSDR CAT ports act like VSPE splitter ports.

Another suggestion: Allow us to get away from serial ports 4 and 5 in an easier manner as most of the %^&*()(*&^% mobile/HT programming software seems to step on ports 4 or 5 and then impolitely refuse to release them when they end.

Jim
W4YXU

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Jim You do NOT need VSPE SmartCat will do it all for you Easy to move Ports 4'and 5 somewhere else Suggest you get DDUTIL to control things and keep track of ports Here are my screen shots of my setup imageimage
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    To move your ports 4 and 5 go into device manager

Click on the ports you want to move.

Go to properties

Then go to advanced.

Change the port number Further SmartCat will already split CAT ports to multiple programs simultaneously. Suggest you remove VSPE entirely from your system and RTFM. (Read the SmartCat Manual).
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Guys, the whole problem is that we need to use the "computer" to control these things. Early on, I suggested FRS to add USB drivers to the on-board Linux system, so we can control things with the RADIO, not the computer. It is going to get real troublesome to run remote, without this capability.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    "Real Troublesome to Run Remote" You Gota be kidding! I run remote 90% of the time using a simple iPad to control my 6700 base station which is hooked to a computer. The base station in La Jolla, CA is connected to a SPE Expert 2K--FA, a SteppIR MonstIR, a Yaseu DXA28000 Rotor I easily control all these remotely. You can see the control layout above. I can even raise and lower my tower remotely but I never do. So far I have made Q's from 17 different countries (I am currently in France). #18. Mallorca. Will be next week So I really do not understand why you say it would be difficult to remote?
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You're NOT running the radio remotely, you're running a computer remotely, which is running the radio locally. That is no different than what we do today with many radios. However, the Flex 6000 Series can be a true radio server; where the radio is what you're controlling; which controls the radio's peripherals (Linear, rotor, etc) That's all I meant. 73's de Mike
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I cannot see your problem. If you were running the radio remotely, you'd probably still be running a computer that would control the radio, except that the computer would be hidden in the same box as the radio <vbg>.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.