Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR usability requests

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
I am very new to SSDR, but I have some further interface ideas.

I currently run SSDR with a single monitor and will get a twin monitor setup soon.

I would like SSDR's status bar to be able to be occupied with loaded (specified) programs as well as icons for selected programs to be started from within the main SSDR user interface. That way I could keep SSDR as wallpaper (always there in the background) and use the aforementioned icons to bring up other ham programs to float on top of the SSDR window. ATM it is a pain to leave SSDR to deal with a digimode program when I want SSDR to be full screen and always visible.

Thanks for listening

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Guy

I run 3 - 27" monitors. I will likely add a 4th when I get back to the USA in October

SSDR on the far right

DDUTIL on the far left

current Operation program such as HRD logbook with spots or HRD rotor or Writelog with spots or contesting or WSJT-X or MixW. In the center

I use the windows accessibility feature to maintain mouse focus wherever the mouse is.

No need to clutter up SSDR with more stuff

Won a few contests with this configuration so I know that the workflow is pretty smooth and efficient.

On The Other Hand. I agree SSDR on one monitor is not enough monitors.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Howard,
    Same basic setup here -- 3 (27 inch) monitors.  I'm not a contester and my main focus is CW and DX so I set them up a little differently but agree that having multiple monitors is very nice. 

SSDR in the center (Chrome browser in the background)

Spotting program (VE7CC) and email program on the right

CW Skimmer, DDUtil, logging program, and a few other misc programs on the left.

If you are only running one monitor (which I  guess would be likely when remote also) there is a case for more stuff on the SSDR screen.   With all of the station "flexibility" there will always be a case for options to suit each persons needs and situation. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    A little one upsmanship here:  I use five montors and an iPad.  One is always the SSDR and another is my logging program.  Depending on what I am doing, I may have CW skimmer, FLDigi, maps, N1MM, etc. up and running.  It's probably overkill, but it certainly gets people's attention when they come in the shack.  I figure that I have absorbed enough radiation in 40-something years of amateur radio that a few monitors won't **** me.

Seriously, I like having the information visible when operating a contest.  

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve,
    Sounds great!  It must look like mission control --- any pictures?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    The XYL calls it the global domination center.  :)

Yeah, I do have some pics.  I will post some.
  • Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited September 2014
    When I use a laptop I have the digimodes pinned to the windoze task bar . Also the SSDR, so switching is easy. But monitors are cheap!
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Man some of you guys are really serious ..... I just use 1 monitor... 54" wall mounted and open all programs I need and just size them to fit without overlapping.... no looking 3, 4, or 5 different places.. everything on 1 screen and pin the programs to the task bar... easy as it can be....  We don't need to clutter up the SSDR GUI with duplicate functions that the task bar already has. IMHO
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    54" = 4 x27". No wonder you can get away with 1 monitor I agree that it is so easy to pin programs to the task bar that there is no need to clutter the SSDR GUI On The Other Hand. I really wish they gave us choice in color schemes and a USEFUL DIGITAL S Meter in dBm.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I configure the monitors differently for contests and chasing DX.  I had 3 24" Dell UltraBright monitors  with a 40" Sony above.  All 4 displays were 1920 x 1080.  I was looking all around and this was creating a big focus issue.  I recently replaced the center monitor with an ASUS 28" 4K monitor and this solved my focus issue.  The 4K monitor displays 3840 x 2160 pixels (4 times the pixels of 1080p) and I can get the essential displays on one monitor.  I put the apps on the other monitors that I don't constantly reference.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    54-inch?  That does it.  I'm on my way to Costco to get that 80" they have on sale.  :)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes. But it needs to be UHD 4K.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is real hi-tech willy-faving LOL.

I will probably get to large monitor and use virtual workapaces. Windows utils available.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.