Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Things that fake me out in SmartSDR

Steve W6SDM
Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Okay, I know I am a noob with less than a month under my Flex 6300 belt.  However, two things continue to fake me out and make me look all over the place thinking that I broke my radio.  Those are:

1. not having an active transmit slice selected so I can't key the radio, and
2. not having VOX on when using DIGU, which won't key the radio.

After restarting software a few times, rebooting the computer and radio, and cussing a little, I finally remember to check those things. 

Has anyone else had that problem or am I just starting to lose it?

Answers

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Hahahaha done exactly the same "why no tx? It was alrite just now" then realise TX is not selected and then notice the pop up telling me so duh!!
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hey own # 50 made but I do the same thing sometimes. Just click on the faded tx make it active. Done several times myself.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    No, you're not loosing it Steve....  With a new air plane you get a new flight check list, that's all it is....   Have fun and welcome to the group!!  Dennis, k0eoo
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DIGIU Requires VOX?  I don't have to have VOX enabled for the TX to work here, maybe you need to set up your PTT in SmartSDR CAT. 

and YES the "TX" has caught me as well but being one of the early buyers I finally know the TX button  for the slice isn't enabled.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Dennis K0EOO - you hit the nail on the head on what I've been felling is lacking - Checklists by Mode Setup.  How simple and effective. 

Have to think a bit more and perhaps will make the suggestion to FRS.

Steve

K9ZW

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't use VOX on Digi when using DAX.  I have the digital software key the rig either via the Virtual Serial PTT line, or via CAT commands.  No VOX needed.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I too use PTT via CAT, but it may be one less set up step ..IF.. you can remember  to enable VOX each time.

AL, K0VM
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Yes, I having trouble getting PTT to key the rig so I settled for VOX.  It seems to work okay and I get good signal reports... I agree that with would probably be cleaner to have PTT do a hardware key.

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    When the radio first comes up, the first slice is selected as transmit.  Once that is done, you must manually tell the radio where you want to transmit.  For example, if you have three slices and you close one which happens to be the transmit slice, we do not "pick" one of the remaining slices to be the transmitter.  The philosophy is that we believe you should take an overt action to transmit in a specific place.  The same goes for two slices.  If you have two slices and close the transmit slice, we do not move the transmitter to the other slice.  

This is clearly different that most radios (which have one or two receivers and only VFO A can transmit so you always know which VFO will transmit).  We thought about forcing this, but it seemed inflexible.  We would end up with a barrage of buttons to make each slice the "A" slice to transmit and you would still need to press a button to switch where you would transmit.  This didn't seem as friendly/useful as what we decided on.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Steve, doing the TX selection that way has saved me from TXing on the wrong band several times....  Given the 6000 series awesome, flexibility I like the way you're doing it....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This behavior confused me at first, also.  But now that I have gotten used to it, I like it.  As others have reported, it has kept me from accidentally transmitting on the wrong frequency on multiple occasions.  (It has also kept me from transmitting where I THOUGHT I was going to also, but that is preferable to causing QRM to others.)
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I agree, Steve, the TX process makes sense.  It makes more sense on the 65 and 6700 radios where, unlike the 6300, if one slice is eliminated the only other one is the likely candidate to transmit.  It's just one of those things, like turning out the light when leaving a room, that I will have to get used to doing.  

It also makes sense when you're running an array of antennas.  I don't want to key up a 7 MHz signal on my tri-bander. 

So, the first thing I check now when I don't key the radio is if I have an active TX slice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.