Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'd like to make a Y cable from my Winkeyer to the 5K and the other side to the 6K, any problem with

Options
Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited February 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
have both a 5K  and a 6K
I'd like to make a Y cable from my WinKeyer to each Key jack.
It's looks like they are  wired differently.

Anything wrong with this idea?

Answers

• Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

Bill,

Since we don't have access to schematics for either Flex transceiver, it's probably safe to assume the key line for each uses a pull-up resistor to +5V or a similar low voltage.  If so, then at a minimum, you should use a steering diode on the cables connecting to each transceiver to attain reasonable isolation.   Otherwise, you're placing two differing source voltages in parallel and that's poor engineering practice.   I now fully isolate my key lines with MOSFET devices, but at one time, I would just install a 1N914/1N4148 diode inside the male RCA connectors and label them as such. 

The WinkeyerUSB has two KEY OUT lines, so you may be able to simply direct the keying to one of the two key ports.  But, I'm not sure if that's the Winkeyer device you're using -- or maybe one of the older, original kits?

Paul, W9AC

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes I have the WK USB and have a 2nd port to use.
    I tried using the F5K line in the 6K and that sure sounded bad. LOL
    Guess it's wired only for the 5K.
    Will make up a new one for the WK USB and use it. Just wanted to get away from even more cables to attract rfi.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Using the 2 port method is clearly safer since only the chosen radio will transmit

73  W9OY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.