Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart CAT issues

Options
Randy Diddel
Randy Diddel Member
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
I have been pulling my hair over this.  I have a fresh install of Windows 7 on a computer dedicated to the radio. No software other than v1.3, log4OM, WSJT-X, WSPR, Omnirig (for log4OM).  I also have a USB to four port Serial (RS-232) (COM4,5,6,7) 'hub' that I connect my SteppIR BigIR controller to on COM7(via DDUtil), an FTDI USB cable going to my Elecraft W2 watt meter (COM3), and a Flex Controller (COM10).

I can get it all working well.  Then all of a sudden something goes sideways and I get the Exception Timeout error mentioned elsewhere occurs  (not sure what sequence of actions makes it happen).  After the physical COM ports disappear from SmartSDR CAT and communication between the apps mentioned above stop working.  I have cold booted the radio, reset the radio by holding the power button and wiping the settings in the radio, the computer, etc.  Eventually, I figured out that I have to boot it all up, delete the virtual ports in SmartSDR Cat, unplug the USB cable that runs the serial port hub, reboot the computer again, plug the serial port hub in, turn on the radio, then SmartSDR and all the trimmings. Then, after verifying all is right with the physical ports are in place, start reconfiguring the virtual ports (I am using dedicated option) in SmartSDR CAT.  I have also tried deleting the config files in the Windows %appdata% folder.

Everything will work fine for a while, the Exception Error happens again and then I have to start all over. I have a few days until my 30 days is up from purchase.  I have spent more time fiddling with configuration than I have operating on the air.  I am an IT guy, so I am more tolerant than most when it comes to computer issues and I am extremely competent as a PC desktop tech (15 years of experience) but I am really considering returning the radio.  When it works, it works extremely well and is a joy to operate, but since the v1.3 release SmartSDR CAT and the radio itself has been really flakey.  Yes, I could roll back to previous version but I rely upon profiles as I am a digital and phone mode operator (more fiddling and less operating).

I am going to wipe my computer and start over again in the next day but I have no hope that my experience will be any better.

K5RHD
/randy

Comments

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Randy.... do the following and it will correct the issue.....All I ended up doing is searching for a file named ssdr.settings and deleting it. That cured the error. The file gets remade the next time you close Smart SDR. It just contains your settings from the previous screen. Somehow it gets corrupted. It is a bug and Flex will have a bug fix to prevent it from happening out with the next update.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Whenever I have to do a fresh install of an OS and set up a vanilla system. I always back it up so it takes 10 mins or so to restore back to a **** state. The hours this has saved me... I have 8 OSs ( don't ask, hi hi) on this PC and am thinking of setting up a dedicated Win 7 x64 partition for SDR.

Good luck,

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Randy, you might want to start with just the basics and see what the problem point is. Just the radio at first. Remove any hidden ports in Device Manager. Use SmartCAT only for all the virtual ports. Try the FlexControl on COM3 - it seems to like being there. Can you use Log4OM without OmniRig (I'm not well versed with that logger)? Good luck!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.