Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Alternate Rig Simulation (humor)

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Add ARS (Alternate Rig Simulation) drop-down menu. The 6000 series could be programmed to simulate other rigs thus making the operator feel more at home with their prior beloved rigs.
Examples:

Jupiter mode: Phase noise transmitted, bandwidth limited to 1 khz, scope disabled to show only frequency.

TS-590 mode: 50 Hz dial error added, TR relay engaged in cw mode to produce clicking sound, scope disabled.

K3 mode: RIT disabled when operating fast QSK CW. Panadapter disabled but output provided for external scope. All buttons on screen moved closer together. 

TS-990 mode: Panadapter degraded and limited in bandwidth. CW relay engaged to make clicking sounds.

Omni VII mode: Panadapter disabled to show only frequency. Display forced out of focus with loss of contrast. 

Omni VI mode: Slight chirp added on transmit. slow drift enabled. 

Orion mode: Panadapter changed to display weird little square peaks very slowly.

FT-5000 mode: Panadapter changed to display  pulsing fuzzy blobs for signals.

Flex-5000 mode: Loud relay engaged, latency induced in sidetone, QSK eliminated.

Additional  rigs and characteristics can be as they are requested. 

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    LOL you must be kidding, right?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    How about Icom Modes?
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    ****...73, w5xz, dan

clever. snarky, but clever... ha ha ha

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Yes the
    IC-756PROIII mode: DSP modifies to convert atmospheric noise into sharp clicking impulses
    IC-7000 mode: Automatically buries weak cw signals in band noise.

IC-7800 mode: Flashes "I cost $11,000 and don't do anything special" across the display.

Heathkit AT1 mode: Produces cw note that sounds like a hoot owl. Whooooop Whooop.

Heiberling PT-8000A mode: Display turns pink and all font becomes German

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yes, "Legacy Mode", in SmartSDR 5.3....i HOPE...

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    wow can you imagine the features that will be available in SSDR 5.3...
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Very funny!  Very clever...You say much here with a bit of humor.  Seriously, one thing that would be nice is to be able to sign into the 6700 with multiple computers...It is a radio server and I would guess that this ability is there, eventually...de W3DCB Daniel
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    :):)
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    yep!! "if you like your legacy radio . You can keep your legacy radio"

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ha! "what difference does it make?"...

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Should of kept your legacy radio.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Why would anyone simulate a radio with far less performance, Who misses that?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Same reason they make Atari emulators. Sometimes people get nostalgic.

This is a funny idea. If someone used the API to make legacy radio skins, they would be popular.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Funny,  Could they make the CW note sound like my first TX - a Globe Scout 65?  Soft cathode keying with a very slight chirp....

We could even make the transmitter delay a while before it is usable until the tubes warm up and then force me to tweak about 5 different knobs to simulate "tuning" the rig before I can transmit.  Then It could require re-dipping the plate current after a slight QSY....

Oh... How about a large, manual T/R switch that must be thrown manually to go from receive to transmit and back.  <grin>

We've come a long way, baby!

Ken - NM9P
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Heck. Why stop there. Let's go spark gap. It would be easy to simulate plus you could have video of the sparks on screen.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Why not simulate it properly with loads and loads of harmonics...just to add to the reliability factor? Plus, how about "Senso-odour™" to simulate the smell of the ozone/nitrogen oxides created. Ahhh, the good old days.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited June 2020
    Think their is anyone left who would remember how my Eico720 looked?
    My novice receiver was a Drake 2C, should be someone who could make that a SKIN
    OR
    Just make the rig look like a old plug in CRYSTAL. I still have some somewhere.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Eico 720 with the 722 VFO was my second rig after the Globe Scout 65. My receiver was an Allied A2516 that I bought from Allied Radio in Indianapolis for $99 in about 1973 with my paper route and lawn mowing money as an 8th grader. I ran QSK with separate antennas back then because I couldn't afford an antenna switch!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to add to the Kenwood TS-590 emulator some ALC overshoot so I can **** up amps I don't like, please.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Love it!  The world needs more humor. :-)
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    But I was dead serious! Flex added the (Humor) in the title. No respect I tell ya....

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    dude! you forgot the Swan 350! drifts higher in freq on 40m, forever !!

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    On a similar vein ...

I got the following response from a Legacy User  - NOT ME.. so don't Flame ME

"I think that it would be fair to also have a legacy radio based program that would help recovering Flex customers get used to their old radios.

A Flex Radio Simulation kit for my K3 and FT-950 would have:. 

A cover plate where the FM button would normally be.

Voice recorder/player button, CW recorder/player button  blank off plates for both.

A simulated “Whack-A-mole” type game called “Whack-an-Icon” for your PC so you could still play the find the cursor, open-up, click-on, drop-down, slide over,  Flex no knob drive the mouse game.    

Remove all possible frequency memories and channels (other than 1 WWV frequency) so you’ll have reenter everything over and over for all of your favorites – see “drive the mouse game above”).

Replace the big S meter read outs (like on my FT-950) with a microscopic version so that almost no usable information can be ascertained. (I AGREE WITH THIS ONE) 

When you upgraded your Soft/firmware in the future you’d receive a simulated $200 invoice from Flex but the money would actually go to RFAA  (Recovering Flex-Alcoholics Anonymous).

A long list sequential start buttons and hidden left click then right click buttons way off in the bottom of the icon tray. (I AGREE WITH THIS ONE)

Oh, don’t forget 3 cardboard cutout monitors for your station so your neck would still get plenty of exercise and then add some simulated VSP, CAT, DAX applications  plus toss in some 3rd party beta utilities to reacquaint yourself with the old Flex days"

NOT ME.. so don't Flame ME    _ THIS IS HUMOR TOO...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.