Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR screen cut off in Win 8.1 with 1920x1080 resolution

Howard -W6HDG
Howard -W6HDG Member
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just bought a Dell XPS 18 all-in-one computer which has Win 8.1 and 1920x1080 resolution. The lower screen is being cut off in SSDR (see the EQ section in image) even with the screen maximized. This doesn't occur on my Win 7 desktop PC. Is there some scaling setting which I need to shut off?? Howard W6HDG Flex 6300 image

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Same here. I think it's a software bug. Those panels should automatically adjust to fit. You can close one you're not using or drag them up and down to rearrange them but all 5 panels won't always fit. 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Howard,
    Also this thread and discussion about the long term fix.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cant_see_all_the_rh_item_on_the_display?topic-reply...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Howard -W6HDG
    Howard -W6HDG Member
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for the comments.  I am at 100% scaling (small) on the Win 8.1 machine and tried compatibility modes back to Vista, but no luck.  It is not a big deal.  I just find it odd that my Win 7 x64 machine with an ASUS 1920x1080 display fits everything perfectly in full screen mode.

I too run HRD logbook over my SSDR in windowed mode, so this was more of a curiosity than an annoyance.   
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    It isn't a "bug" it is a feature that has not been added to the GUI yet.  See Al's post above.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Scrolling the sidebar is the "cure"? Why not just make the thing fit? It's almost there anyway.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Because we have to ensure that customers with smaller monitors can run SmartSDR, so we keep the default footprint relatively small.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    You lost me there Tim. A scroll bar would take up more room than the tiny bit needed to fit the chopped off panel at the bottom. 
    Must be band conditions? QSB?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    What if we decide to add more panels?  Also the conesole expansion is vertical, not horizontal.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ok...If you add more panels then add the scroll bar.
    Why would the existing panels fit with Win 7 and not Win 8? That's why it seems like a bug and not a "feature". 
    That was the original question and we got off on this scroll bar thing. 

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve,
    FWIW, my Dell u2711 (27 inch monitor) at the same resolution running on Win7 Pro SP1 does the same thing.   The bottom panel is slightly cutoff.  Its not really a problem for me so I haven't tried to look any further (e.g. drivers, video monitor settings, etc).    

I'm sure the developers could make the current panels a few pixels smaller to allow for the differences but it may not be worth the effort since the scroll is on the way.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Al
    Right. I don't really care either. I just didn't understand the point of designing it that way in the first place. The EQ panel could have been compressed a bit and nobody would have noticed or the gray spacers between panels could have been made smaller. Scrolling might be a "fix" but but still you're going to always have part of a panel chopped off. It just seems weird.   
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Steve,
    Understand -- maybe it only does it on some systems at that resolution.  It might have looked fine on the developers and QA testers boxes.   There are so many variables (hardware, software and settings) in the field.  It would not be hard to fix by just making the panels a little smaller.  That might leave a little unused space at the bottom on some systems but again not really a problem. 

I agree it is a curiosity and agree its probably not a high priority.  Also if new panels are added and if they are different heights, there may other cases where some combinations don't fit exactly

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.