Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil Microphone Cable

Charlie
Charlie Member ✭✭
I am using a Heil PR 781 microphone with my Flex 6500.  I bought the Heil Yaesu balanced cable, number CC1XLRY-BAL.  I have it connected to the front microphone connection.  Did I purchase the correct cable? I have been reading in the community that the front mic connection is for an unbalanced cable.  I have not had any issues using the PR 781 with the balanced cable but just wondering if I should have bought the unbalanced Yaesu cable.

Thanks,

Charlie W3DDF

Answers

• Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi Charlie,

To use a balanced microphone with the 6500/6700 you need to use the rear connector - the 8pin is unbalanced which is what your lead is for. And as you suspect not the right one for your lead which only works with the front 8pin socket.

If you have a 6300 then you can only use it unbalanced.

From the manual and the 6x00 series datasheet it states: "Microphone Connectors Unbalanced 8-pin, Balanced XLR/TRS for the 6500 and 6700 and Unbalanced 8-pin for the 6300."

If you are going to change and use the balanced input It won't alter the "sound" per-se but (and that is a big but) it may help reduce RFI problems and will offer slightly better immunity to EM noise being picked up by the microphone lead.

Also and this is worth checking some Heil leads were not made to spec and were wired incorrectly. Worth checking to see that it is has it should be as per the Flex manual.

You would need this lead 
    http://cart.flexradio.com/Balanced-Microphone-Cable-for-FLEX-65006700_p_923.html

73 Steve
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Sell the Heil mic and cable and buy yourself the top of the line headset mic PRE-CUT to fit on and work on the Flex -- RADIOSPORTS!! Their headsets are 100++++% better built and all around better set up with a much better mic -- you can choose the mic type you want or buy two as they are easily changeable -- great foot switch too --- the RadioSports head gear will over last the Heil by years and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH more comfortable to wear --- I know, we have both Heil and RadioSports boom mics at both 7P8AP, 3DA0ET and they were exclusively used on the FT5ZM DXpedition with 100% reliability compared to the Heils which all had problems -- band design head gear, etc. --- You want a Radio Sports head gear mic and ask the man when you talk to RadioSports (QST advertiser!) what he recommends for the Flex 5500 -- I have the 6700 and the Radio Sports head gear is wonderful --- Good luck -- K9APW -- since 1960 --
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Steve, thanks for the reply.  So is it ok to use the balanced XLR cable connected to the front microphone connection for the time being?  Any issues this could cause?
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2014
    I use the same setup with a 6300 and have had absolutely zero issues. Everyone says the audio sounds great. If you are happy with it, keep it.
    james
    WD5GWY

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree 100% on the RadioSports. I got rid if all my Heils. Happy I did.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Charlie,

You're not going to hurt anything using it. You *might* have problems with RF getting into your audio depending on your particular setup, but if you don't you're in business. You will however, be better off in the long run hooking your PR781 to the balanced input on the back of the radio.

Good Luck,

Jon...kf2e
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited March 2017

Which model of RadioSports Mic & cable works well for the Flex 6000 series.

BALANCED is the way I want to hook it up.

Also same question for a headset vs a Mic.

Thanks,

Lee

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The Arlan Communications web site seems to be down right now.
  • Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

using a 6400 here with a 781.No matter which mic i put on the 6400 they are not stable. I mean one day they sound wonderful and without me doing a thing they start giving all sorts of issues. Anything from buzzing to muddy. If all goes good from the hamfest tomorrow I will come back with 2 less mics. That will leave the 781. Now there is no balanced input on the 6400. I am using the 781 into the rear mic in of the 6400. However I fear the day when or if it fails me. Recommendations for a mic and mic base with PTT.

Thanks

Ferrell

N4FRL

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.