Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Easy adjusting RX filters - Idea

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in New Ideas

Here's another idea for RX filters.

An easy way to adjust RX filters on the fly for people with mice with third wheel. When the mouse cursor is over the trapezoid for RX filter setting why not have the center mouse wheel change from VFO control to being able to change the filter? For example - position the cursor on the left arrow in the trapezoid pop-up and have the mouse wheel step that side of the filter in or out. Set up step sizes based on modes. Smaller for CW and digital and larger for SSB. Put the cursor in the center of the trapezoid and it would adjust total bandwidth wider or narrower.

The left click, hold, and drag lacks accuracy.

Dave, wo2x

9 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Dave even easier than that is to just click on the edge of the filter on your panadapter and just drag it to the width you want... simple as pie...
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020

Yes, but it would be easier to be more accurate by rotating the mouse wheel in pre-defined steps :-)  Try setting the filter to 50 x 3000 using the click and drag. Not accurate.

Why not have both if possible?

Dave

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Very good idea David. Especially for CW ops using narrow filters. Mode specific increments would greatly increase precision. Click and drag is OK, better than nothing, but we are alread accustomed to mouse wheel incrementing frequency up/down, so it is a natural for adusting bandwidth precisely. I like it.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dave,
    I added a vote in case the new "profiles" feature doesn't cover custom filters.   If the profiles feature allows us to store and recall custom filters and offsets then its still a good idea but may not be as much of a priority.

R$egards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Does it really matter if it's 3000 or 3010?  I usually just drag the filter to wherever their TX bandwidth is in the waterfall.  I guess this would be important if you are trying to measure TX bandwidth?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    in some circumstances I would like more accuracy, especially for CW and digital modes.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Hi Michael,

Your question about a 3000 or 3010 filter width is fully appreciated.  At a 3000 hz bandwidth, a 10 hz filter width differential probably doesn't make a significant difference.  But at a 50 hz bandwidth, in a crowded CW contest, a 10 hz filter width differential can make a huge difference, especially with the very steep slopes of these SSDR digital filters.  Based upon that reality, David's request is one of ergonomics.  It is very difficult to accurately position the filter skirts at narrow filter widths with lateral movements of the mouse.  Using the mouse wheel, however, to increment or decrement filter width when hovering over the RX filter trapezoid section, would allow precise adjustments to made easily.  It would be a very nice refinement to CW selectivity capabilities if David's idea were to be implemented. I know the SSDR programmers have their hands full right now, but this feature would really give SSDR CW ops a great competitive edge if this feature could be considered for future revisions of SSDR.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Phone and CW ops live in different worlds, don't we!  hi hi.  I am trying to straddle both lanes, somewhat unsuccessfully.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Hi Ken, That's the beauty of a F-L-E-X-A-B-L-E radio. You should be able to have optimal SSB and CW performance and ergonomics all in one radio. Why not?
  • W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    I hope for a more generic approach. 

Most windows apps that have a slider / number parameter allow the mouse wheel to control the slider under circumstances such as "in the value box" or "on the slider". 

Another need for this is in the DAX sliders.  There are several others but generally, as much as we hate windoze, they do have some useful convention.

BTW - PSDR had the filters game just exactly right!

(IMNSHO)

Jim
    W4YXU
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello
    Using the Flex 6500 0n  cw is amazing. The slight modification that would allow smaller adjustments to filters would indeed be a nice thing.

And if it was only for the  CW mode  so be it.  

It is a shame that more hams do not know CW as this mode started everything else ..

And while your at it why not make CW active
    in SSB modes. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    CW active in SSB has been recently suggested and was "liked" by a number of people, myself included.  One suggestion if they do.... I would like for it to be available , but have it default to break-in OFF.  I wouldn't want it to be active ON by default when I change to SSB mode.

I leave my keyer/breakin circuit active all the time when in CW mode, but I wouldn't want it active full time in SSB unless requested.  I fidgit too much at the desk and am sure I would constantly be sending unnecessary dits & dahs, not to mention having my cat jump up and step on the Bencher keyer paddles when I am away from the station and knocking them closed, sending a  string of dits for a half an hour!  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.