Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil PR40 or 781g

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
Ordered Flex 6500 which microphone should I order Heil 781g or PR40? Did a search couldn't find the question asked. KM4CQG/AG Ian

Answers

• EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2014

hi Ian,

buy a real Studio mic and you will be very! happy.

Example: Rode NT-1A, t.**** STC 2000

Connect it direct to the Radio and use Flex equalizer.

vy 73

Emil, de DL8JJ

• Warren Elly
    Warren Elly Member
    edited July 2014
    They are pretty near identical... I have the pro 40 but my Flex 6500 likes my Sennheiser md-421 better... another great performer I've heard on air on 6000 series, Heil Gold Line series...witih Yaesu cable to match flex 8 pin... good luck 73, Warren W1GUD
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have used the PR 40 on all the Flex from the 1000 to the 6500. It has performed excellent.i have a friend who used the 781 and it eq ed nicely. To be honest you can use a very wide range of mic on this radio, it is just how much you want to pay for little bit of improvement. The heil 5 element does a great job.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    There have been several threads discussing microphones. I think it is pretty well established that you can get very good results with just about any mic using the flex equalizer. That said, I would recommend using a balanced mic plugged into the balanced input on the back of the radio. The balanced input is much less susceptible to RF which can sometimes be an issue with a Flex. Personally, I use a PR781 and am very happy with the results.

Jon...kf2e
  • Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited October 2017
    Ian,

Mic choice is a personal preference.  Short opinion - Either Heil would work quite well.  Use the rear XLR on the 6500 for best results.

Long answer on general mic usage.

It depends upon what you are after in sound.  But ANY dynamic mic will do the job and the EQ in the Flex can make up for a lot of mic inadequacies.

If you want something more of a heavy quality end fire broadcast mic, then perhaps an EV RE20 or the more affordable RE320 are a couple top picks.  Rode makes a good broadcast mic as well, I just can't remember the model.  The Broadcast mics don't have quite as tight of a pattern as the Heil, so you can be a bit more relaxed in position, but they will pick up a touch more room.  (Downward expander cures this.)  This still keep you in the world of dynamic mics.

Some guys are using end fire kick drum mics to get the high-mid and low pre-emphasis, like the MD421.  Another is the Audix D6. The results are pretty amazing with a mic that was not intended for vocals.

Beyond that, you'll be heading into the snobby world of condenser mics, which require phantom power and more external equipment.  These are overkill for amateur radio in general and their pick-up pattern is even wider and more sensitive, which means you can be really relaxed with mic position, but it picks up much more of the room.  A downward expander or gate is generally a must with these for amateur radio to tame the room ambiance.  I use a side address condenser myself, but this is NOT for everyone.

I could go on all day.  The thing with a Flex 6000 series is the input is VERY flat and doesn't load the mic, unlike many other knobbed rigs.  And then it has the built in EQ. So you can make even a very cheap mic sound REALLY good.  e.g.: I have used an old tubby sounding obsolete Audio-Technica hand mic that I own and can make is sound VERY good on the air using the internal EQ.  I have gotten rave audio reports with it and it is a total piece of ****.  A little creating EQing and viola!

Don't spend any more than you have to for a mic, unless you WANT a certain brand or look.  And that is OK too, just don't delude yourself into thinking it makes you sound better on a 3 KHz wide transmitted spectrum.  It's marketing that convinces you of that.

Scott AC8DE
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I get great audio reports with my PR781, I use it with Flex's recommended EQ settings...  Dennis, k0eoo
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    PR781 in the Balanced Input +20db selected - 75 on Mic Gain - reports are always "Great Audio"

Job done! 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For about $50 less than the PR-781 I got a Heil PR22UT which has a very similar response.  It isn't a "studio" looking mike, and probably doesn't have as much rejection off the backside, but it sounds great after EQ.  Definitely use the Balanced input.  All three Heils are nice mikes, as are many of the other ones mentioned here and in other posts.  Just understand that beyond a certain quality, hams arguing about mikes is about like country boys arguing about their pickup trucks.  They all get the job done and much of the rest is personal preference.  But do you really need a $50,000 pickup to haul cow manure?

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    I considered both and chose the PR-40 because of the reputation for flatter audio, and my desire to use the mic for audio recording as well ham radio and I wanted to shape audio with the equalizer, not the mic. I also like the steel finish rather than black... very similar mic's.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Guys I greatly appreciate all the input. I am sure this is just the beginning of my participation on this forum. Ian
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Love my EV RE320.  It has a kick drum setting if you feel your voice needs a bit more oompf on the bottom end...but I find that the mic does really well flat.  I even roll off the bottom a bit on mine.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    OK Since I have owned or tried Heil gold line , Traveler headset , Pro headset , PR40 ,RE27,SM7B , Audio Tech 2020.2035,2050,4033cl,4050,Neumann tlm 102,103 . I prefer the 4033cl with any Preamp that will deliver Phantom power. (I am using a focusrite 2I2) And I do also like the Yahama CM500 headset . (Fantastic ). I would suggest that you take some time and listen to any of these fine mikes You Tube and try to compare this response to what your voice really sounds like. Then make your choice. And Yes it's only SSB but you can sound pretty good in this bandwidth if you try.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am still deciding on a mic and had pretty well settled on a PR-781.  Please pardon my ignorance here but I do have a couple of questions ...

1. If I want to us the balanced input on the rear of my 6500, what cable would I need?  Is this available from Heil? 

2. If I use the rear XLR connector, how would I break out PTT or would this mean having to use VOX?

Thanks in advance and very 73,

David G4NRT
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You would use a female XLR to male 1/4" TRS cable. Heil sells both a hand switch and foot pedal with RCA plug for the rear PTT jack on the 6500. I like the foot switch as it keeps my hands free.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you Larry!

Your reply really confused me until I had a look at the rear panel of my 6500! I had assumed (from reading the Hardware Guide) that the balanced input was an XLR not a 6.3mm stereo jack! When I re-read it, I realised that the Hardware Guide doesn't cover my radio at all and I was looking at the 6700 panel!

All is now totally clear and I just need to identify the Heil cable for my rig and I'm all set!

Thanks again and very 73,

David G4NRT
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The balanced input on the back of the 6500 is a combo XLR & TRS jack. You could also use a cable with XLR on both ends.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Combo?  Well I'm darned!  Problem solved I think ... Just have to find a UK stockist who has the stuff in stock now ... Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.