Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexPad ???

Reggie
Reggie Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Does anyone know about the FlexPad?  I saw it on http://www.radiocronache.com/.  It
appears to be a pad that interfaces to an IPAD for remote (LAN/WAN) operations.

Reggie

Answers

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    REAL or Photoshop ??

Lew

//
  • Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    I gotta have one...... Beta Testing anyone?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Looks like a nice speculative product. Can't see why you'd want a dock when the ipad software should be all that's necessary. Pretty Italian design, though!
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Guess it MIGHT be of some value, but given the fact Apple controls products that use IOS via the iTunes Store, Android would make more sense to me. Neal, K3NC any comments?

73's
    Lew
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Looks like a variation of the Woodbox FlexPad products in development....

http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/FLEXpad.html

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Looks like a very cool way to operate remote.  I do hope they will consider supporting Android 3G tablets and not just Apple.
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm trying to understand the value of the Woodbox FlexPad device.  At the moment, I have SSDR running on 8" and 11" tablet PCs over a LAN.  These also serve multiple-duty for VNA antenna measurements, 4Nec2 antenna analysis, and about a half-dozen other applications.  I haven't tried it yet, but there's no reason why I cannot plug FlexControl into the tablet's USB hub and have knob control as well.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Paul,
    The FlexPad picture shows jacks for a paddle, phones and mic in the add on hardware.    I don't know what FRS has planned for those on the WAN remote feature and how they will be supported on PCs (e.g. Surface Pro 3, laptops, etc) or iPad and other platforms.    Maybe this is the plan???

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    How do you send transmit audio from your tablet?
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Al, 

I don't see those three connections on the Woodbox Flexpad.  Maybe hidden away? 

http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/FLEXpad.html

The tablet PCs also allow full touch screen control.   I would rather see Woodbox create a Key/Headphone/mic interface box as a USB device to be plugged in to a USB hub.  Assuming FlexControl works into my USB hub, then that simple hardware interface is all that's needed to make it operate like the other FlexPad you've shown.  However, I do like the quick docking capability.  But it seems as if a southpaw designed it!

Paul, W9AC

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Paul, agree and not sure who is behind the SSDR version. Is it a real product or just an idea..... Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Search iPad on this community... i have a detailed explanation of iPad Remote
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This device has huge potential utility.  It's NOT just for remote operation.  It's for local operation as well, for ops who think they need a front panel - knobs, switches, touchscreen.  Very slick.

Is that iPad full size or iPad mini size?
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    For me, it would be of interest, if they would manage to work CW (hopefully even QSK) from this device with a real paddle, not just CWX.

I'd definitely buy one.

But: If this would come as a docking station (as seen on the pic), please make it downward compatible for the older iPad generations. Not everyone tends to buy a new iPad just for doing remote operations. The best solution would be an open system with a USB-connection and optional frames to fit in and adapt for the particular device.

IMHO, this would be a killer! Sitting in the living room (and later elsewhere with a network access), playing with the paddle, and the FLEX stands at its place in the shack.

Hopefully, this dream will come true soon!

I asked Greg on the Friedrichshafen Ham Radio fair, if FRS will offer an option to work remote CW via key/paddle. He confirmed, FRS would be working on/thinking about a solution for this.

Was anyone else here at the FlexRadio-meeting on Saturday 28th of June at the Ham Radio fair?

Tom
    DK1EY
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tom,
    Steve said they would support CW via a PADDLE for WAN remote.  See this link for the full discussion.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_is_cw_via_a_paddle_in_scope_for_the_remote_e...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    OK I want one (Flex Pad that is)
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Although this is obviously a mockup, FRS should be aware of placing the control panel on the left side of the screen.

It would be a deal braker due to the fact, that right handed people, which are about 90% worldwide (see Hardyck C, Petrinovich LF (1977). "Left-handedness". Psychol Bull 84 (3): 385–404.) would have concerns about tuning the VFO with the right hand, while covering the screen with the right arm. In my opinion it should be useable omnidirectional and not being dependend on handedness.

The FlexControl does a perfect job, and can be used by anyone. Just enhance it with key, audio, mic & footswitch jacks and furthermore with an iPad/Tablet/Netbook-Connector.

But: Nice mockup as well...

I am waiting for something similar.

Kind regards
    Tom
    DK1EY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.