Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Finally a usable VISIBLE S Meter for SSDR via DDUTIL

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

After suffering with the invisible (to me) red on black ANALOG S-Meter in SSDR, I wish to publically thank Steve K5FR for fixing the S-Meter and finally making the S-Meter useful via DDUTIL

We now have a continuous DIGITAL Readout in DDUTIL of the Peak and Average S-Meter Readings in terms of both S-Units and the MUCH MORE USEFUL dBm Readings without having to hover over the S-Meter with the mouse.

Comments

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited February 2017
    I agree that the current S meter on the GUI is terrible. For the average users, it is hard to beat Bob's Smart meter by Woodbox.... It's  big, looks and fits on the screen like its part of the GUI...You can choose the color to match SmartSDR.  You can set it up for peak.  Hard to beat in my opinion. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Since the advent of accurate digital readouts in dBm,  I hardly ever used the ANALOG S-Meter anymore... the current version with its inflexible choice of colors is basically so hard for me to see that I cannot use it...

So i was thrilled when Steve came out with the DIGITAL - S-Meter in DDUTIL as i finally could actually see the signal reports...

Yes I have used Bob's S-Meter... but frankly i am so much more comfortable with accurate digital readouts than inaccurate analog approximations...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The DDUtil info is a good stop gap and the Bob's Smart meter is also nice.   But I'd still like to see the SSDR GUI improved instead of relying on other programs and add-ons to SSDR..   

There have been a number of good ideas presented and a few of the links are below.  Essentially they all ask for similar changes in 3 areas. 

- screen color choices to improve readability and usability of text, graphics, sliders, panadapters, etc

- numbers (aka values) that are displayed without having to "mouse over"  or click on a control.  This should be for all sliders and controls (some values like CW Speed have been added but there are more that could use the same treatment).  The S-Meter values are another example.  

- better graphics on the  sliders to make it easier to read them.  (Some folks like the graphic scales and controls, so make them more readable).  By providing numbers and easy to read graphics there is something for each preference.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/idea_to_improve_the_swr_and_power_scale_readability

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/color_choices_for_background_and_meters

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/brighter_linework_in_panadapter_for_improved_legibi...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/tx_slice_highlighting_feature_idea

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/add_preamp_and_agc_status_to_the_panadapter_bar

Some (or maybe all) of these ideas could eventually be addressed.  It would be helpful to add a "GUI enhancement" item to the the road map and itemize the ones that are being considered seriously.   It doesn't have to be soon.  Maybe next year as one of the 2.x road map items.  The benefit of have them listed is we could tell what is being planned and get an idea of when we might see them.   

Working them in as possible is also fine but some have been in the queue for a while and its hard to tell whether improving the GUI is a priority without some specific feedback.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
        Perhaps some GUI management tasks, like color, would best be done on the machine
     (PC,  MAC) running the display, leaving the DSP and other heavy lifting to the 6000 and
    the FPGA.  This separates the house-keeping from the rocket science.

Ned,  K1NJ

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    The problem is that it uses CAT and not FlexLib and doesn't follow slices well.   I asked the author if he had any plans to update it for FlexLib.  He said no.
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited January 2017

I am using now  the free  VUMeter V1.2   from  www.vuplayer.com  see under  other software....works fine under Windows 8.1 64 bits......so it should work on all the Windows software.

I had to turn on the DAX 1 in my Flexradio 6300....with clicking with right hand mouse you can adjust the Readings...and leaving on Pimary audio settings..

Its a stereo VU meter but that is not a problem..

Trying the Woodbox Smart meter ( fine on the old PowerSDR) was not working for me on the 6000 Series... slow and not usable...etc...

73 Gerben PA0GDW

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    I have voiced my want list on the S meter and rf/swr meter. But I use the bobs meter and it is very responsive. I am running win 64 bit with a 6 core with 12 gig memory.
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited October 2015

Ok Dale...

tnx fr info.. your PC has  much more power ....   :)

I am using an Intel I3 processor....4 Gb DDR memory.....and a 120Gb SSD HD...

Processor usage at 2 Slices on the Flex-6300 is about 20 %.... and very quit ....

I have  tried again Bobs meter and after some adjustments ..no AVG on etc..its working rather good...still not very quick...

73 Gerben PA0GDW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.