Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No RF power output on SSB on new 6500 (Mic input)

Bill K8WLK
Bill K8WLK Member
No RF power output on flex 6500 using mic input. Mike Gain set to 80, +20 button checked in set up and compression on DX. Mic level and compression meters work. Automatic antenna tuner works. No modulation. Radio draws 1.9 A at 13.8 V at idle and 4.0 A at 13.8 V with transmit. I see a post from W5SAT had a similar problem two months ago but the resolution is not listed. This radio is three days old and I am new to Flex Radio. I sent a ticket in to support. Anyone have any solutions?

Software 1.2.17.35

Bill K8WLK

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Do you get a CW output? Transmit slice selected? Not on DAX or ACC?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Make sure DAX is not selected, audio will not be directed through the radio and VOX will not work.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Bill make sure the mic is set to mic.... if it is then turn on the mon button to see if you have audio out of the mic.... I suspect that you have no audio from the mic....
  • Bill K8WLK
    Bill K8WLK Member
    edited April 2019
    Gentlemen thank you for the replies. I am on Mic not DAX or ACC. I am using the stock Mic that came with the radio looks pretty basic, waiting for cables to use my Heil 781 from the bal input in the rear. I now have the radio putting out about 20 W with the following using +20 dB inside setup. Mic gain and about 90%. Compression on DX.
    Levels look okay. Compression looks okay. Output about 20 to 25 W on SSB and about 35 W on CW. This of course is with the RF power slider at 100%. Interesting?

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Yes the stock mike is a poor source of audio. I run a good mike with a pre amp. Loads of audio.
  • Bill K8WLK
    Bill K8WLK Member
    edited May 2016
    Another bit of data. The radio draws 1.9 A at 13.8 V at idle. With transmitter activated with no modulation the radio draws 4.0 A at 13.8 V. With the  power slider at 100% and the level set as described power output is 20 to 25 Watts drawing 6.5 A at 13.8 V. Not anywhere near 23 A at 13.8 V I would expect especially on CW.

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Bill from the radio setting menu set tune to 100 watts and hit enter... after that it will show max output with the tune button pushed
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Make sure you have the +20 dB boost turned on in the Setup>Phone tab. You should then be able to turn the mic slider downto about mid scale. Set the switch on the back of the mic to position 1 for best audio response. Note, if you can get normal power output in Tune with the power slider set to 100 after pressing Tune, the hardware is working properly.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Gerald - we are working this problem as a HelpDesk support ticket.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This issue has been transferred to the FlexRadio Help desk for resolution.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.