Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex provided hand mic...poor audio??

Lee
Lee Member
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I just got my 6300 at Dayton. Yeah! Ya...Hoo!

It came with a hand Mic (Thanks...Flex)

BUT, I tried to use it the first night I got the radio going (Sunday) and everyone said it was really terrible. We tried everything we could think of to make it sound decent...no go.

Did I get a bad one (Chinese fallout rate?) or is it just that they are of poor quality in general??

The next day I hooked up my Heil gold line and I am getting great audio reports.

Did anyone else ever try these Mic's and what was your experience?

Thanks,

Lee

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have used it, but you must use the 8 band EQ to adjust your audio response in order to get acceptable sound. But a good desk/boom mike is much, much better.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

Ken,

OK...FB...well we tweeked the 8 band eq with a little help...but still very poor...

Non issue I am using my Heil now...

If I were Flex I would not put a poor Mic like that in the box...gives a poor first impression.

Oh well, just venting a little..

LOVE the 6300 so far...

On 7138 right now...why not join us??

Lee

• Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Same here.  Got my 6300 last Tuesday (May 20).  What a great radio!  

But the hand mic is not good.....but it got me started.  Need to find a good mic.....can I use a 600 ohm balanced low impedance mic, like a Heil PR 22 in to the front panel mic connector, which is advertised to be an unbalanced HI-Z interface.  Now I wish I had not sold my EV RE20 with my old AM rig!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

My result with the hand mike is as good as my Heil...

I am using the EQ with the hand mike and others can not tell the difference which mike it is.

I prefer the hand mike over the desktop Heil.

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    My first hand mike the slightest movement side to side make clicking and strange noises.... It was replaced by Flex radio and makes no clicks or clunks...
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

I think I have a bad one too...

I will ask them to replace it...and I expect they graciously will...

Loving the 6300...MAYBE I should upgrade to a 6500???

Lee

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    My Flex Mike works well. I did have to lower the audio gain a bit...I had it too high and my audio was distorted. After lowering the gain, the transmit audio got good reports.
  • K6NOK- Bill
    K6NOK- Bill Member
    edited January 2015
    Check "Radio Setup" menu "Phone" tab. Try turning off "Bias" and turning off the "+20db gain" That may help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.