Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best Practices

Gary Robertson - KY5R
Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
I wish the Community Page had an area reserved for Best Practices, perhaps under the Categories Section. As the Flex-6000 series and SmartSDR continues to mature, it is not unusual to see a conversation that clearly qualifies as a "How To" for performing some particular task. I have seen several conversations that would qualify as a Best Practice, examples being -  the steps necessary to make N1MM or Flidigi or Ham Radio Deluxe or K9DUR's Voice Keyer or SDRMemory6K applications work properly with either SmartSDR or PowerSDR. If Tim felt that a particular conversation qualified as an excellent "How To", he could move it over to the Best Practices Section. This would save a lot of time and effort searching through all of the conversations trying to find a good "How To" for some particular issue that someone was interested in implementing.

Comments

• Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This is an excellent suggestion. Putting this received wisdom and experience into a structured location will be a great help to us all. Gary, thanks for the great idea. -- Jim W5HFS
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Excellent Idea...

John n0snx
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Great idea with Flex deciding what merits best practice.  Would also be source of info for inclusion in future product literature.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    great stuff! it's kinda already there, down at the bottom of "Zendesk"......but needs more entries, IMHO.

73, w5xz, dan

• Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Dan. I didn't even know about Zendesk or its purpose. I bet that many users of the Flex Community are also unaware of Zendesk, or maybe I am the only person out of touch. I agree that Zendesk has relatively few "How To" articles, especially given that many great "How To" submissions have already been submitted to the Flex Community.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OK. I'll bite. What is and Where is Zendesk? I've never heard of it and I've had a 1500 for nearly three years and a 6700 from the day it was first delivered. I don't find it with a quick look at the site and suggest if it's so useful it be made more available. Thanks, -- JIm
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Hi Jim. Zendesk is on the right hand side of the Community page near the bottom, under RELATED - right above Community Stats. Took me awhile to find it myself.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    and here, with Chrome browser, i get a nasty warning when I click on 'Zendesk'...but proceed anyway...oh well....73, w5xz, dan

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Firefox gives the following warning when clicking on Zendesk:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to helpdesk.flexradio.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
    What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yup.....press on....'what? me, worry ??'

73, w5xz, dan

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    there's even some more goodies at the very, very bottom, re system tweaks...re: 'core parking..'

N5AC's WSJT-x stuff was great for me, a digi-newbie / bozo; but even IT is outdated, since WSJT-x is up to r3673.  Some of Steve's selections in WSJT setup / configuration are no longer available...but, somehow, DxLab Commander seems to work, thru SmartSDR...kinda...

my favorite reference to jt65 is http://www.zs2ez.co.za/WSJT/jt65a%20bozo's%20gude.pdf
    but, even IT is somewhat dated...Andy has said 'it needs an update' and I think he's working on it, unless he's already having too much operating, rather than writing.

as usual, JM2C.  73, w5xz, dan

• Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Yes, I also get that nasty warning when I try to open the Zendesk page. I ignore the warning and tell it to continue on to the desired page. Nothing bad has happened to me as a result but everyone should use their own judgement.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.