Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Selecting USB mic audio source for tx audio?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I believe I have read that some folks have been successfully using their USB based headsets with SmartSDR.

How do I set SmartSDR to use my USB microphone as the tx audio source?

With the open HPSDR software, I could go into the VAC window and directly choose the USB mic  without having to use any sort of virtual audio cable application, and port the USB audio right into the SDR  software. This worked great to use my USB based mic preamp (Focusrite 2i2).

With the SmartSDR, I have played with the DAX control panel, but it seems like I can only choose playback type devices to "drive" the tx audio of the Flex 6500. However, the USB mic device appears under recording devices in Windows.

So how are the folks using USB headsets getting the mic audio into the SmartSDR program? 

It would be nice if there was a way to simply choose the USB mic, or any other audio input (recording devices), from within the DAX control panel.

Eric

K2CB

Answers

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    anyone?
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Eric,
      I haven't tried this myself but you may be able to open the USB mic 'Listen' properties in the audio device manager and check 'listen to this device' and select a DAX TX device as the play back device.  You will have to have DAX channel enabled for TX in the DAX control panel and DAX enabled in the phone/CW panel.. 

Good luck...

AL, K0VM
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

Any updates??

I would like to do that too...

Just got my 6300...Ha Hoo!

Lee, KC9CDT

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not exactly sure why anyone would pick the hardest way possible to get audio into the radio, which also adds distortion and latency with every transformation step.  Not only that, but the quality of audio coming out of random USB headsets is definitely questionable.  Why buy an expensive radio, capable of fantastic audio and then couple it to a cheap headset?  This is probably why you haven't received many responses.

If you want cheap and cheerful, buy an SM-58 mic, rig up a footswitch and get a desk mic stand.  You will get audio beyond your wildest dreams with a minimum of distortion and latency.

• Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

I agree,,,

I guess I was kind of interpolating the question to how I could use Skype on remote to get audio into the 6300. (get audio from the PC vs the 6300 itself)

I would like to use my 6300 remote when traveling??

Lee

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    See my comments in Community about using iPad with 6000 series I have now worked FROM 17 different countries
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I use a $24 Logitech Bluetooth Headset with my ipad for remoting when traveling. I consistently get comments like. "Your audio sounds like FM Broadcast Quality". Most Heil $150+ mikes are just $6 mikes in expensive packaging.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

So...you CAN use the 6300 REMOTE?

How does the audio get to/from the 6300 from the PC??

Thanks,

Lee

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

I'm encouraged....I thought the only way to get audio in/out of the 6000 series was the unit itself...not from the PC.

Is there details on how to do remote with the 6000 series somewhere??

Thanks,

Lee

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    See all the links I posted above
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And the same would be true of the SM-58 and other sub-$150 mikes, according to your logic. 

I have tried many other mikes, including the stock hand mike, SM-58, SM-58 copies, EV-664 "Hammer,"  Military headset mikes, homemade electrets, and others.  I'll stack my Heil PR22UT ($110) up against a Sure SM58 any day on my 6500... and have already.  That's why I use it, not for pride or bragging rights, but because I like the way it sounds with my own voice. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I use a Radiosport Headset ($400 range ) for contesting http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/RS60CF.asp Mainly because I like the way it feels on my head and how it blocks outside noise Frankly the 8 band equalizer in SmartSDR does a really good job with almost any mike that when I switch mikes (I have some Heil's too) I get virtually the same reports albeit the Heil's usually score a bit lower.
  • Mike Walker
    Mike Walker Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I know this will open up a can of worms, but for SSB communications you really want something where the audio shaping is correctly leveraging the ability to communicate. To really understand, you want to hear Bob Heil discuss his finding from the Bell Labs on how the ear hears things and why his elements are shaped accordingly. http://twit.tv/tri8 I found it very interesting on just 'how' the ear hears things. 73 de va3mw
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I see this is an old thread.  A local store has on sale a Blue Jeti USB Desktop "Studio Quality" Mic.  Various YouTube Video's show this to be a very good mic.  Has anyone used it, or similar?  PS my wife wants to buy it as a Christmas present for me, should I tell her to save the $100, and buy me a couple cases of ****?

Cheers, Kevin

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hi Kevin,

I use a Plantronics wireless headset into my 6300 via the USB on the computer and it works extremely well. My voice is not very good as I only have one vocal chord but people do comment that the audio is very good.

Tim
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have 2 Blue yeti usb mics I use for remote and they work excellent.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    WIll it work?  Yes, Absolutely!
    But there are two drawbacks....

1) Sending audio to your computer via USB and then back to the 6000 will introduce some added delay that you won't have with a direct connection to the rig. If this is not an issue for you, it isn't a problem.  I have experimented using my USB Mixer and processing the audio using a program called "Stereo Tool" and had up to 250 ms Delay/latency due to the conversion and processing.  Not horrible in a rag chew, but it could spell death in a contest or hot & heavy DX pileup.

2) There may be some loss of audio fidelity due to limitations in your sound card/computer processing before the audio gets to the rig.  I have done A/B testing using my Heil PR22 and a Behringer Q802USB mixer.  I compared a) feeding the audio from the mixer into the Balanced input of my 6500 and b) getting an unprocessed feed from the USB output of the mixer through the computer and back to the rig using the the "Remote" function and "PC" mike input.  As I switched inputs, the audio was always clearer with the direct BAL connection.

I was able to make adjustments to the Transmit EQ in order to balance things out, but it never sounded quite as good when going through the computer as it did when connected directly.  Good enough, yes, but not quite as good.

If you are running remote, it would be a good mike to use.  I just wouldn't choose it for my main mike setup unless you can also connect the mike directly without the extra baggage of the USB interface.

Your mileage (and other people's opinions) may vary.  

In any case, please have a look at my Transmit EQ adjustment tutorials on Youtube.  Search Youtube for my call.  There are three  (at present) that may help you as you fine-tune your audio chain.

Ken - NM9P
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Thanks Tim, Ken and Larry. 

I have good mic's already in use on the 5000 here at my local station, its the remote 6500 that I was looking at using this mic for.  Ken I will look at your Youtube clips later tonight.  In the meantime it looks like I'm heading out to buy my Christmas present.  I will update everyone later (After Christmas?) on my setup results.

Thanks for helping my wife out !! 

Happy Cheers.

Kevin

PS Mic is called YETI, not Jeti as I posted above.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Use the cardoid setting for best results.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Well out of the box with no set-up, John HK3C in Columbia, say's the Blue Yeti is the best he has ever heard me. (Always have been using Heil Elite Pro Headset with John).  The Silver Mic looks great against my Dual Silver Monitors.  I will only report back here if I have any bad news. 

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Kevin, Va3KGS

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All of this and I don't believe anyone answered this poor chaps actual question.  How do you get the audio from the wireless headset to the 6000.  Geezz.  

The receive audio is easy.  Just make sure the default speakers or listening device is the headset your using.  For transmit, I believe you will have to use one of the DAX channels and point it to your microphone.  I'm not at home or I could take a look at how I did it.  While there is some latency, it still works just fine.  I've gotten great audio reports using a wireless headset.  Shoot I'm not running an FM broadcast station here, this is ham radio, right?

Sometimes its nice to have wireless headset and not be tethered to the desk.  Other times, its nice to use the PR40 plugged directly into the BAL connector.  I love wireless headsets for copying CW or when it is late at night and I don't want to disturb anyone.

Hook it up and have fun!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When using a BT headset, one sets the BT mic to default recording device and select the "listen to this device" in the sound / recoding / listen submenu.

Using the REMOTE mode in SSDR panel will have audio from PC sent to the Flex 6k.  One also has to enable the "PC" in the P/CW menu.  

k3Tim
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually, if you are in the shack with your rig, you don't need to use REMOTE to use a USB Mike for transmit audio. You can simply make the USB Mike the DEFAULT Mike in the Windows audio Recording device panel. Then select PC as the Mike input. You can still use your powered speakers connected to the rig for receive audio. If you select REMOTE, the it sends your receive audio out to the Windows Playback Default device (whatever is selected in the properties panel.). You no longer need to use DAX for this either. (but it was necessary when this thread was begin two years ago.)
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good job Ken.  I forgot that now we have REMOTE and it uses the default devices.  It's been a while since I've looked at that stuff.  Things have been working pretty smoothly here!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.