Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I install the FLEX-6000 Rack Mount Kit?

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Use this link to download the FLEX-6000 Rack Mount Kit Installation Guide

Answers

• Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there any way to rack mount my FLEX-6700?. I would like to rack mount my FLEX-6700. Is there a kit to do that?
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This radio is perfect to rack mount, nice and neat, out of the way
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    what about in a rack were only the back is open will the radio get enough air to keep cool
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    As long as you are venting the heated air out of the back of your rack/cabinet and it is not in a closed loop, you should be OK.
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    well the back is open and there will be 2-3 inches open on each side thanx tim
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    works well in a 2U Gator bag.  Note the 6000 chassis has 4 "set screws" that must be removed then the rack mount screws will fit in those holes. 
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    yup i just checked out the instructions from flex
  • Frank N5WJ
    Frank N5WJ Member
    edited September 2015

Hi Are there any plans to have a Rack Mount Kit for the 6300, I just ordered one and would like to Rack Mount it..

Tnx, Frank.. N5WJ

• steve smith ka1sdr
    edited November 2017
    i put my kit on my 6500 today and mounted it in my rack works great looks awesome plenty of room on both sides easy three-4 inches on each side
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited October 2014
    i tried to put up a pic but it wouldn't work

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Steve - to post a picture,you have to click on the camera icon in the editor, upload the pic or use a URL for the source and then click the OK button to embed it in your post.
  • steve smith ka1sdr
    edited November 2017
  • mdavid01
    mdavid01 Member
    edited November 2017
    Nice rack mount.  
    I'm going to upgrade the 6300 to 6500 and will be rack mounting in a Gator box with power distribution and transverters only. Planning on keeping 1u spacers above/below Flex.
    What size boxes are folks using or would recommend?
    Are you'all centralizing rf ground for equipment in the box?

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I'm not familiar with the Gator box, but I rack mounted my 6500 with 1u spacing above and below.  It doesn't get even slightly warm under heavy use.  Being rack mounted, everything in the rack is by definition solidly grounded through the rack.  "Just like uptown!"  Not a hint of a problem.  I couldn't be happier.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@Mike - 1U spacers are not necessary as there are no top/bottom air vents and are sufficient air flow space on the sides providing the Gator box rear cover is open.  However, a slot for wires can be useful.

Another post commented on transportation stress - the rack ears and their mounting is sturdy but Flex (Tim?) can you comment on chassis stress for rack mounting?

Grounding:  I use a tinned 1" copper braid as a ground bus within the rack and connect that to the station ground.  The braid is nice because a SS bolt, flat SS washers and wire can be pushed through creating convenient connection points.

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I mounted my 6700 in a Gator (6U height) GR-6S portable rack case.  The Gator GR-“S” series are shallow cases, and I believe are available from 2U to 6U heights.   The shallow cases are just the right depth for the Flex, and are less bulky than the full depth GR-“L” series.   I can set the shallow case on a shelf on my desk – the full depth case would not fit.  I chose the 6U height (GR-6S) because I wanted to install 2 shelves for accessories (switching PS,  external autotuner,  SWR/wattmeter, antenna interface, and 12v power distr. ****, see pic below).   Mounting the Flex and accessories in a portable case makes moving the whole station a breeze – I just disconnect the antenna and laptop, unplug the power supply, snap on the case front and rear covers, and move to the new location. 

If you don’t intend to put any shelves in the case, a GR-2S or GR-3S case should be fine, with the GR-3S providing additional space.   One suggestion, if you do want to install shelves, get the Gator GE-SHLF10-1U shelf – it’s more expensive but heavy duty and has curled front and rear lips that prevent the shelves from sagging.  When I was searching for a case found many pics of cheapo shelves that sagged in the middle.  Also, be sure the case has front AND rear rails.  Both the case and shelves are available on Ebay at discounts.  Here’s my setup:

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @Tim -- your link to the installation guide at the top of this thread is out of date. Are you able to edit it to this one? http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000_rack_mounting_bracket_installation_guide-pdf/
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited November 2017
    The link has been fixed.
  • Steve Potter
    Steve Potter Member
    edited October 2019
    Are the shelves not upside down? all my cantilever shelves go the other way. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.