Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Home Brew BAND EDGE MARKERS

Ken W9IE
Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Simple way to create BAND EDGE MARKERS.
You can create markers anywhere you want with this method.
Following Sets a marker at 7.125000   The Bottom of the Extra Phone Band on 40 Meters
Simply put a TNF at 7.125000, It creates a YELLOW LINE, Then Remember the TNF
and the line changes to GREEN.
Now you have a visual marker at 7.125000.....
Any time you re-boot your Flex or add another Panadapter the Marker is there.

Ken  W9IE

Comments

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Pretty slick!
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited July 2017
    I stick post it notes on my screen.
  • Steve WS5W
    Steve WS5W Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This sounds much better than the white-out i have been using :)
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice workaround.  :)
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Hey!

What's the worry? 

Everyone now a day is an EXTRA class!

Cynical and earnest too...

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK, I'm a rookie - what is TNF? (haven't got my 6300 yet) thx
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    TNF = Tracking Notch Filter.
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alan,  Tracking Notch Filters are filters that can be set anywhere you may need them
    to eliminate a Bird or noise caused by outside sources.
    You can also remember them so anytime you go to a band they are always there.
    Look up the Official Description in the User Manual.
    Any way,  I just used that feature to leave a mark on the Screen at a Band Edge
    so I had a Visual Indication.

Ken  W9IE
  • Richard W2FBS
    Richard W2FBS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Neat idea. Still waiting for my 6300 but saving all these helpful hints for later. Thanks!
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The same technique can be used to mark channels on the 60 meter band.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This is a great work around, and I'll be trying it. However, it would be quite helpful for Flex to provide options that are both flexible and persistent. These should include settings for each class of license and mode. 60 meters markings were quite helpful in Power SDR. Certainly this should be established for all the countries using Flex. Other more subtle matters concern power settings and issues regarding locations. Alerting regarding signal width spreading beyond the band edge, LSB, USB, CW envelope, etc. could be incorporated. Again 60 meters is the most complex, in the US at least. Perhaps a clean Interface for the user to design her own is the way to go, at least initially. Visual clues such as cross hatching, colors, balloons with text, and even audio could be incorporated. Things that could also be included would be a means of marking the sub-bands established by general agreement rather than by law. The whole idea is to make it more certain to not only meet the regulations but also to keep specialized areas free of QRM. I've been a ham for 63 years, most as Extra Class, so I've seen a lot of changes. It's not a matter of people being lazy or ignorant of these details; it's a matter of assisting the best operating possible. The great thing about Flex is the almost limitless potential for such improvements. Perhaps someone will use the APIs available and provide a finished add on. 

• MarkN7MHB
    MarkN7MHB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    SmartSDR for IOS has the band plans as an option. This would be a great enhancement for SmartSDR for windows.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.