Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

work-around tor click-tune on RTTY for 6000/SmartSDR

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Until a new update simplifies things, I have devised a work-around to the Click-Tune problem in RTTY.

FlDigi has a default center frequency of 1500 on RTTY
(at least that is what I have it set for.)  

So I set the rig to DIGL, and set a filter of 300 Hz.
Then I set both RIT and XIT for +1415 Hz.
Now when I click on the higher (mark) peak on the SmartSDR pan, the rig tunes right on frequency, and the thin yellow line is centered directly over the right hand peak of the RTTY signal. It looks a little finny, having the blue filter window offset, but the mark frequency is displayed accurately, and the click-tune works.  In addition, If I want to work split, I just hit the AUX3 button on my FlexControl knob and slide the TX frequency UP the band a bit.

It is a bit kludgy, but it works well until another option is offered.  It has simplified things for my as I hunt W1AW/p on Digi.   I just need to remember to clear the RIT/XIT when I switch modes!  I have had a few embarrassing goofs already!  hi hi.

Comments

• Mark - NU6X
    Mark - NU6X Member
    edited June 2020
    I have been using this method for several months and it works well except for the confusion caused  because the blue filter doesn't shift with RIT. I used this same method in the early days of PowerSDR until the software  started clearing RIT/XIT when clicking on a new frequency. It makes sense to clear RIT/XIT on a frequency change but hopefully Flex will not do this until we have better RTTY tools for SmartSDR. Click-Tunig on RTTY is a great feature. With the great resolution of the Panadpter, I can click right on the Mark and rarely have to fine tune. Dragging the filter over the signal isn't as easy or fast.  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Even if you do need to fine tune the signal, a few quick nudges of the mouse wheel gets you right on freq after the click.  

Now, If only the band/mode persistence would remember my RIT/XIT settings when I go to DIGIL.....

I hope that when they add the frequency correction factor for DIGIL  & DIGIU that it is programmable for each mode.  That way we will be able to customize whether or not the "click" is on the mark, space, or center of the signal.  Different ops may want different methods.  Personally, I like to click the Mark trace.  This is really going to be nice when we get the Panafall this month, We will be able to click on the trace of a signal that has already gone into listening mode and be on frequency and ready for action when he comes back with the next call.... or click on an empty frequency in order to bust through a pileup.  It will be so much easier with the panafall!
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016

Ken, this works great...Dedicated Fldigi and Fldigi DXCluster apps. Now if only Fldigi would "DECODE" the text when moving the mouse pointer on different signals.  HRD has this DECODE feature and allows the user move the mouse to different waterfall signals to see the text.

Thanks

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FLDigi will do that on PSK31 if you hold over a trace and hold the RIGHT-click button.  You can look at a transmission.  If you want to move to that frequency, then just press the left click while holding the right button down.  I have not tried this on RTTY, but then I am always using the 300 Hz filter and leave it centered.  If I were "running" a pileup, then I might need such a function and use a wide filter.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016

Ken, Thanks. I forgot to hold the left chick when doing this...My BAD.

Question: Is it easier to operate the Flex with the USB  Flex control??

Just asking before I buy one..

Bill

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Order it yesterday!  It is well worth the $99!  I love it.  
    And it is going to get better with added functions in the new software release next week.

In a contest, doing S&P, I have the Flex Knob at my left hand, and the mouse and keyer paddles at my right hand.

The only thing better would be if someone ported the API over to be able to use a Hercules DJ Controller board that has multiple controls, sliders, knobs, and buttons.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Ken: Thanks. Will unpack my controller used with the Flex 5000 and try it.
    Bill
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ken

How were you able to fine tune the filter to 300hz?  Were you using the iPad program?  Other than that it works pretty good.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No fine tuning of the filter is needed, just hit the "300" button on the Slice Information Flag on the main screen.  It will be centered on the RTTY signal when using FLDIGI and a "sweet Spot" of 1500 and the RIT/XIT numbers I published.  

(I have not tested this with any other RTTY program, but I assume it could be adjusted to work with MMTTY if you set the modem offset frequencies, etc. correctly in the MMTTY set up tabs.)

To Click-tune...Click on the Right-Hand spike of the RTTY signal and fine tune with either your mouse-wheel or FlexControl Knob so that the RH peak is right on or barely to the left of the vertical yellow line.  It will NOT be in your Blue Filter stripe, because of the RIT offset.  It looks a bit odd, but it is much easier to snap tune, and clicking on DX spots puts you right on frequency.  The Logging program reflects the proper frequency, too.   Just remember to zero out your RIT/XIT when you change modes or you will have a lot of grief!

Good Luck.

Ken - NM9P

BTW... How did I arrive at the magic numbers?  
    the 1500 Hz "Sweet Spot" is centered between the mark and space frequencies of the RTTY Signal.  So I simply offset the RIT/XIT by that amount, minus half of the RTTY shift, so that the RTTY signal will be centered in the Filter passband whenever the RH spike is right on the Slice tuned frequency represented by the thin line in the display.
    You can use this principle with other programs to shift the response wherever you want.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I didn't see the 300 button because I was looking at the RX panel on the right side of the screen which does not have 300hz button :-)  It also helps to turn on RIT and XIT to get this to work!  I understood the offset as I had to set that up to use MTTY.  I have to admit the point and click is nice though before I realized I had to enable RIT and XIT, moving the signal into the blue worked well for me.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    With 1.2.1 it appears I will have to continue to use this process to center the signal.  I also found by setting the offset to -1500 digu for both RIT and XIT I can use the same process for psk.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Strange situation.  On 17m this worked just fine, however, on 20m I had to use digu otherwise the signal was not readable.  Using digu I set the offsets to -1415 for both RIT and XIT with the 300hz bw.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Today on 20m it worked ok in digl.  Some strange stuff going on!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.