Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Instant callsign ident

G4BIM
G4BIM Member
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
How about instant callsign identification between Flex 6000 series users. The radio sends out a sub audible ident on transmit, the receiver detects and puts a small flag against the signal on the panadapter giving station ident
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Cool idea :)
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Great Idea!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

This has been suggested in the passed and it has not been accepted by FRS. I don't remember if a reason has ever been given.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is on the list, but there are a lot of other features ahead of it.
  • G4BIM
    G4BIM Member
    edited January 2015
    O.K. Thanks Tim
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

This brings up a question.

I was looking at the roster on the forum and I came up with the following conclusion.

Why add the feature of "Instant Callsign indent"?

After all many members do not bother to enter their name or Callsign in their posting.

Is it possible that they do not want us to know who or where they are?

I noticed that Tim said "is on the list". But, will we be able turn it off/on at will? 

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Earnest if the ham is complant with the rules he is giving his or her call sign every 10 minutes so a constant updating on the radio would be neat! Hard to have privacy on a The airways.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm sure it would be optional, no reason it wouldn't be, but of course that's up to the designers/developers.

Something that might be simpler to implement (but not nearly as cool) would be something like an automatic spotter network.  When you transmit, it uploads callsign/frequency to a central database on a website.  Then the client could "subscribe" (push notifications) to updates on the band that you're on.

Having said that, personally I'd put this pretty far down the wishlist as Tim suggested earlier.  Awesome idea though.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Dale,

When they (who ever they are) properly would disable the ID's; just like they do here on this forum.  I for one don't mind finding other Flexers. It would give us more things to talk about and exchange pleasantries.

Or another idea with the ID's, perhaps Flex would sponsor  a contest etc... :)

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I go for that too Robbie
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wouldn't this be sending data in the phone segment and therefore not a Good Thing?
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Michael raises an interesting question.  We currently send sub-audible tones as part of many voice communications via repeaters.  Clearly, this proposal is very different than the sub-audible tones we transmit to enable repeater access and reception.

Taken a step further, we could transmit sub-audible tones at a mutually-agreed frequency in a data sub-band which includes the call sign and current operating frequency and mode of the voice station. Then listening stations could opt to join the voice communications, or not.

Reg, KD5RB

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    I thought about this a couple of years back -- the idea was to encode the callsign in phase information which is not really useful in sideband.  It's a fun project we may look into at some point.  Subaudible tones could also work, but would be called out by operators that can hear them in their passband ("hey, you have some low frequency tones in your signal -- do you have a power supply problem?")

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.