Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NAQP RTTY

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Thanks for the Qs Stu!  :)

6700 performed well during the contest but it really needs correct click tuning.  Is this something that is going to happen?

What I mean is that when I click on a signal, weather it by CW, DIG or SSB, the signal should go to the center of the filter passband.  Maybe not so critical for SSB.  CW already does it.  But for digital modes it is a necessity for click tuning and there needs to be something to set an offset for spots so when they are clicked the radio goes to the signal in the filters passband.

Greg

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Greg,

Likewise!  NAQP RTTY was fun and I turned in a personal best in the event so I'm a very happy camper!

I don't know about the status of click tuning so I'll leave for Tim to comment but...

The question also begs what offset?  I run RTTY with low tones - a mark of 915 Hz so that after a long contest I don't hear diddles in my head for the next couple of days!  I know many folks use the standard 2125 Hz mark frequency.  So at a minimum, the offset would have to be configureable.  

Many an alternative suggestion would be an option to allow the center of the filter frequency to be set to the clicked location...  although I no longer have my 5000 to test PowerSDR with, my recollection is that is how the click tuning worked in digital mode.

I have the same click challenge with band maps in Writelog...  you never know what frequency the spotter really reported - not an issue for the NAQP because I always operate unassisted but a big issue for WPX RTTY.

Stu K6TU
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We will eventually get around to adding features to SmartSDR that are digital mode operation centric, but first we have to knock out the published roadmap.  Being a digital mode op, you can rest assured that when the time comes, we'll address these concerns and needs.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Stu...exactly on point and I think we are saying the same thing.  Click on the signal and that is where the center of the filter should be.  I agree about the tones.  I prefer 915Hz also but there presently is no way to change it that I can find.  So the filters are centered around 1500 Hz and that is what I use to set in MMTTY....1445 Mark and 1615 space and I make that the ham default.

Thanks Tim!

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    There is a way to get MMTTY to transmit low tones...  however, you have to edit the USERPARA file as well as the MMTTY.INI file - these are both present in the directory where MMTTY is installed.

Open each file with NOTEPAD and look for a string of "2.125" - you will find this as part of a couple of parameters with a scientific format number like "2.125000E3"...

Change each occurrent to "9.15000E2" and then save the file.

Do the same with both files and you are done.

I haven't found a way to modify MMTTY behavior without editing the files...

Works like a charm!
    Stu K6TU
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    The SSDR centers on 1500hz for the digi modes and like Greg I have setup 1445hz and 1615hz for mark and space in MMTTY.  I am curious as to what the advantage of setting mark to 915hz.  In addition, it will not be centered so if you tighten up the filter you will lose part of the signal unless you change the center freq in digi mode which is a pain based on my experience of changing the center freq.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    That is part of the point Don. Some ops like the lower tones some like middle tones some like high tones it all depends on what they find more comfortable to listen to over the long period of a contest. These need to be user definable and The tones selected are what needs to be used as the center of the filter that is built.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Stu, I've never had a problem setting the tones just using the standard mmtty set up panel.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    This is part of the reason why I developed the K6TU Control iPad app and included user profiles with filter settings.

I have a number of profiles configured for different contesting modes...  my RTTY Lo profile has custom filters which are then available at the touch of a button when the DIGL mode is selected.  Not only does this set a series of RX filters that are correctly centered with different bandwidths but also sets the TX filter to 400 Hz width also correctly centered.  This helps keep the already great and clear TX signal from being broadened by MMTTY.

Stu K6TU
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Stu,
    Remember on the Flex 5000,  We could RIGHT CLICK on a Filter and assign the High and Low
    offset....   This then became the RTTY Filter and offset from zero.
    All we needed to do was to select that filter with whatever name we assigned to it.
    If we could just repeat that feature it would be a great help for myself.
    This is possibly what you are doing on your IPAD App.
    I wonder what TIM's view of this feature is.

Ken  W(IE
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Stu
    I searched the App Store for K6TU, K6TU Control, and K6TU Control iPad but I got no hits in the App store.  

Don

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    thanks.  I just don't understand why I cant get it by seaching for "K6TU Control".
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Are you looking in the Mac App Store instead of the iTunes App Store?

That makes the difference!
    Stu K6TU
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I was looking in the App Store.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

When designing a filter for digital use, please consider making it a dual filter with an adjustable level between mark and space.  i.e. mouse drag down the centre part of the filter to say -20db.

This will reduce background noise and other station's mark/space signal level between the target station tones.  It will still pass enough signal for tuning purposes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.