Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Operation on iPad using Parallels Access and it has VOX on DAX

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Since I constantly travel internationally, I really need remote radios. Yesterday I successfully worked my 6700 through my iPad over ATT wireless 4G LTE using the Parallels Access app. It worked much better than previous attempts with either a Teamviewer and Skype combination or a Logmein ignition skype connection. I did the entire set up remotely as I am currently a long way from my San Diego station The receive side was easy. I connected DAX RX1 to the Parallels Access speaker audio using the control panel manage Sound on the PC using the LISTEN tab on RX1 to map it to the correct audio. The transmit side was much more complex. Unlike DAX RX there is no listen tab to allow you to map the audio sources. I had to install VAC audio repeater so I could map DAX TX1 to Parallels Access microphone input. PLEASE ADD DAX TX LISTEN TAB FEATURE so we don't need 3 rd party programs. Perhaps the best feature is that VOX works with DAX so no more clunky MOX PTT. I use DDUTIL to control my Steppir MonstIR antenna frequency and turn the rotor. I am not running my PW1 linear remotely yet as it does not have an easy remote on feature like the 6700. This month I will be on the air from Thailand and next month from Bali via my San Diego station so please listen for me around 14.2.

Comments

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
       That's excellent information.  I had used "SRserver" on my PC and its mate on my
    Samsung tab to access the '5000.  While it exercised functions well enough, the
    latency was a real killer.  I also used the VAC audio repeater.  That is a big part
    of the solution.  Since that time, SR has had upgrades and my PC and internal
    network has had improvements.  Now, with the new radio, it may be worth another
    try.  Good luck in your travels and thanks for sharing the info.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    BTW.. I am not experiencing unacceptable latency using the above configuration and of course, it is even much better when using WiFI rather than 4G LTE.

However...I cheat a bit....my home Internet connection is 50Mb/s download and 5Mb/s upload.. albeit the upload bandwidth utilization seems to actually be less than 1Mb/s 

I am waiting on pins and needles for Flex to release a NATIVE Internet Client with the requisite security layer... when they do that they will truly be the best on the block for remote operation...
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Cool!  I've also been wondering how the new microsoft remote desktop app for the ipad would work with it remotely.  Might have to give it a try sometime.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You said in your above post "The receive side was easy. I connected DAX RX1 to the Parallels Access speaker audio using the control panel manage Sound on the PC using the LISTEN tab on RX1 to map it to the correct audio."

I have Parallels Access installed on my home Windows 7 computer, and it is turned on for accessible. Where do I find the Parallels Access speaker? What is the "correct audio"? Is this the computer sound card speaker? I think I'm almost there, but not quite. I have RX1 mapped to the computer speaker now, but not hearing it on my IPod. Can you help me?

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Finally back in the USA for a couple of weeks

I explained the setup in detail with Pictures in the following link....

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/notebook_or_ipad_for_remote_smartsdr

MAKE SURE YOU EXPAND ALL THE COMMENTS TO SEE THE PICTURES
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    These pictures should help
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OK, I see the problem, There is no speakers (parallel virtual audio controller) listed in the "Playback through this device" listing. The only thing I installed on the PC was the Parallels Access agent. Is there something else that I need to install? My parallels is still in the trial period, I womder if this makes any difference.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    The Parallels Access Speaker shows up as an active device only  when you are connected remotely via Parallels

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.