Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Software Guides paper reduction

Ernest - W4EG
Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas

I normally print all your Manuals, Guides and Updates instructions.  I find them very useful and informative.  However, the newer versions of the above guides etc... are usually a re-hash of previous instructions. 

Case in point, your latest release of SmartSDR Software User's Guide contains 98 pages which I printed:  Comparing that version with the previous there is a difference of 14 pages.  In other words version 1.1 dated 1/17/14 is only 82.  But there is very little difference between the two.  They have the same boiler plates about legal and copyright information; except that newer guide has 4 additional pages of legalese.

Suggestion: Let's try to save a tree and reduce the number of pages by just making available the newer or additional modifications or revisions how things work. 

Since these manual/guides are not the final product ask us to update our manuals with the following pages that we will renumber. This will not only save a tree, but it will reduce the printing cost and time. 

I am not a tree hugger but I can see the waste that you are producing. To many of us like to see things in writing, since we can no longer depend or keep it in our memory.

Comments

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    How about "saving a tree" by not printing it in the first place?  An electronic manual is far more useful than a paper one as it is searchable.  You can even annotate it if you like.

Personally, I'd rather have Flex focus on the radio, rather than creating addendum extracts for a manual that you don't need to print out anyway.  If something changes on page 5, then all pages after that would need to be replaced anyway.  I don't think you'd see much savings with addendums, particularly with the rapid pace of development.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Indeed, I bought a Android cheap tablet that I keep on it's cradle on my desk, I use it only for manuals and PDF's - cannot recall the last time I printed anything other than an invoice for a client! :-)

But each to their own.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Michael,

You obviously were never in the military; where the manuals are ALWAYS being updated: Specially in the communication area . My assumption from your reply.  apparently you don't know or understand how updates are accomplish.  Not all pages are replace as you stated. I do not want to bore you or other reading this subject by describing how, why and when this is done.  You don't know what rapid development is!  I refer you again to my first sentence.

I keep both manuals on PDF and hard copies. and I just simply prefer to see it in writing. PDF format is GREAT and I make frequent use of it. 

Michael and Richard,

Let me just ask you a question.  When was the last time you pull the PDF manual?   If the PDF manuals are so great; Why do I keep reading the same questions that were already answer?

Many users do not have the privilege of owning a tablet or several monitors to place their questions and continue using their gear.

I guess that I am an old **** that like to see in writings and like you say "each to their own."

my 2 cents worth.  PERIOD

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

The SmartSDR manual?  As it happens, this morning.  I was looking at the manual with regards the Balanced Input and what changes are relevant in the software with regards using it over the 8 pin connector on the front.   

Before that, I had a Windows Sockets Development book open that I was using last night.    I probably have around 30 reference materials I use on a daily basis - from CSS references to CSS/HTML color charts and many language references.

I am probably a little different to most, as I use PDF's on a daily basis.

And no, not a Military guy, an IT guy through and through for the past 32 years.  Despise paper and pen and was one of the first kids in my school to submit my homework on 8x11 inch dot-matrix printed paper.

The wife prints reams of documents - but she worked for NASA and they like things in triplicate!

Also, I don't ask many questions as I normally search the manuals on my tablet first. :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.