Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Items that I am looking forward to

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I will be looking forward to the release of Pan-fall or Panafall, whatever the term is. That is my best tool for spotting weak signals on 6 meters and when the band is weak on 10-15. But it can wait until other items are brought forward first. I'm really looking forward to CW keying via the serial port, multiple savable TX profiles, expanded pan & slices, I/Q DAX, and fixes in DSP. I hope most of that makes it to 1.1 Perhaps some sort of waterfall/panafall will be available in time for the September VHF?UHF Contest? I do have a feeling that pan-falll may overtax tax my video card. The video card in my computer is already getting flaky when I open a second Pan. I will be looking for an affordable high performance card soon. Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Fill below spectrum line topic.

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken, I'm hoping we will be able to see the slice information expanded to avoid jumping between tabs. Now that DAX and RIT/XIT are implemented, we have 5 tabs of info. Too much clicking and tabbing and easy to forget what you have set on the various sliders and buttons. A single display could be implemented several different ways. I submitted a mockup a while back that would let you keep the tab format (if you like it or want to save space) or expand the slice to show it all at once. I'm sure the GUI designers could come up with other ways to do it. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ CLICK for full size pic.....
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The / DSP / Mode / X/RIT / DAX menu could be between the flag and the flagpole, then pressing the menu item could toggle the visibility of that portion of the flag. This way the user could see any combinations of the panels that he wants to see.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I saw a couple of sample displays that might be implemented in 1.1 and we may be pleasantly surprised with one of the additions, if it is included. Kind of like an "active slice info panel" in the RH panel ****. It wasn't a really clear picture but what I could see looked very interesting. We will know in about a week!
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Several cents from my side over announced into the roadmap, what i guess really needed and can be realized in nearly future: 1. Software stability !!! 2. User profiles with chain Band/Mode/Filter/Power/DAX related to the slice name etc.behind 3. DSP improvements 4. More DSP functionality utilization (ex Constructor of filters) 5. Visualization of the RIT/XIT 6. Multi-user connectivity 7. Auto preamp amplification (can be useful in contests with extra strong signal, switchable) 8. Integrated Recorder/Player with regular / DAX / IQ signals 9. Extra cursor functionalities(signal level, frequency etc. on Pan screen (switchable)) 10. Expanded Ethernet setup
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I agree about too much clicking around to get things done. I think there should be more focus given to UI design that reduces click count. I would like to see USB/LSB/AM/CW modes displayed always, and if you want the digital USB/LSB, access that through the drop down menu. Having to click through a dropdown to access standard modes is not really efficient. I do like the idea of having them pop out from the side. It would be nice if the pop out menus were selectable instead of an "all at once" approach. Also, with mutiple slices, this could get really crowded on the screen. Would be nice to have maybe "dockable" menus that you could place wherever you like? Maybe lined up on the red frequency line?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Michael - if you are not aware of it, you can change the three modes that display above the pre-set filters by right clicking on them and changing it to your favorite ("fav") quick start modes.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    I am not, but I will be doing that right when I get home. Thanks for the comment!
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steve's (k6tu) iPad app sure helps with the multi click issues.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Oh! Can I mention Tracking Notch Filter? July? Really? Bummer!
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I forgot to mention a much expanded ZOOM. 1 KHz per grid is way too course. How about 10 Hz per grid. When you're filter is set to 50 Hz, you can't see it.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    I'm sure it does, but sadly it doesn't help us Android folks much, particularly when Steve has said he will not be doing any development for Android devices. Also, the fact that an app needs to be written to make the software more usable is a proof the the current UI could use some streamlining. I shouldn't have to use another app to be able to efficiently operate my radio. I realize that there is more development to be done on the UI, and it appears the the 1.1 release may have some improvements to the UI in it, so I am currently cautiously optimistic.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    I'm looking forward to an updated roadmap, as it appears that they are beating schedule on a few items.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Michael --- completely agree with your comment "...the fact that an app needs to be written to make the software more usable is a proof the the current UI could use some streamlining. I shouldn't have to use another app to be able to efficiently operate my radio." I also hope to see some GUI improvements in V1.1 --- Given that new features are being implemented over time, it's not really a negative comment that the GUI needs to be updated. It's to be expected. I know that access to features from a single click has been mentioned from the start. There are also a number of other GUI features that have been asked for: improved visibility of the scales, color schemes, slice cloning, etc. After several years of updating user interfaces in a previous life, I found that even the best intended changes can have unintended consequences and elicit negative feedback from the users. (remember when the CW delay button was moved off the main screen to the setup screen for a while). The process we finally developed was to provide the users with a mockup for their input before making the change. It saved work and re-work in the long run. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    You're absolutely correct, it's not a negative comment, it's constructive criticism. I'm excited to see some changes to the UI in the blurrycam image that Greg posted on FB, so I know it's coming. It's heartening to know they are listening, so kudos flex team! FWIW, I requested access to the API today, I needed an excuse to learn some Android programming anyway. :)
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Items I am looking forward to: 1. More panadapter zoom factor, maybe 2 - 4 khz wide, for serious CW contesting using narrow filters. 2. Button to create a new user defined receiver in the current panadapter to facilitate split operation (as in an up 5 khz cw scenario...ability to set mode, filter width, offset, rx volume, mute, everything). 3. At least two band stacking registers per band, so one register could be set for the cw band and one register for the ssb portion. 4. When changing panadapter zoom factor, keep the slice active receiver centered in the panadapter. When increasing the zoom, the slice receiver is often lost off the panadapter screen. 5. User defined filters, like in PSDR. Maybe even allow users to sharpen the skirts at the expense of latency. 6. Instead of simple incremental + or - panadapter widths, how about a dropdown of pre- defined panadapter width options, like 500, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50, 25, 10, 5 and 3 khz. 7. Auto-adjusting panadapter noise floor level to avoid having to adjust panadapter levels for each band. Noise floor changes during the day, even on the same band and same antenna. 8. Recording and playback capability. (On the roadmap already). 9. Ability to place panadapters on different monitors. 10. Band edge identifiers.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    For #4, don't use the arrows to change the zoom, just click and drag the scale just to the right of the RX line to zoom. The RX line won't move then. Also kinda negates the need for buttons for widths, just drag to suit.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    4. When changing panadapter zoom factor, keep the slice active receiver centered in the panadapter. Your wish may be granted soon than you think. :-)
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Tim, I love being pleasantly surprised!
  • PAØGDW
    PAØGDW Member
    edited October 2015

I am working with a Flex 6300....7 Mhz display width is very nice..

but why not Fill below Spectrum line   .....? i was used to fill it in Power SDR...

now it is much harder to see the Panorama Spectrum..

For me ( and many...many... other users of now Smart SDR ) it is Priority number One.... 

73 Gerben PA0GDW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.